avid pads

nickbec
nickbec Posts: 36
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I am trying to tet new pads into the brake. But cannot open up the pistons? When I google it tells me the o ring may be perished. Whats all that about

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Stick the old pads back, get a big screwdriver and lever them open.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kevsgsi
    kevsgsi Posts: 19
    Do you not have to open anything on the brakes to let pressure out?? Like you would on a car before pushing the piston back. I need to change my pads soon
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Could be all sorts of reasons - if they are Juicy's its probably just because they are c**p!

As cooldad says, find something to lever the pistons back with more force. Easiest way is to use the old pads but this will knacker those pads beyond use, so if you dont achieve the objective you no longer have an option to bail out and stick the old pads in till you have time to have another go or take it to the shop.

They may not go back easily because the pistons get sticky - my Juicys regularly seemed to do this and it required some considerable brute force. Another thing to be wary of (I think) is that if they have been bled with worn pads in (rather than the proper spacer) then they may not go all the way back because there is too much fluid in the system - need to rule that out before resorting to brute force.

I have just dumped my Juicy's for some Elixirs I got cheap as the Elixirs on my Hybrid seem to have been 800% more reliable and just plane better than the Juicys on my MTB. I think they dont suffer the sticky piston issue so much at least and pads are much easier to get in.