Does Shadow+ need a lower chain guide?

dhooper7
dhooper7 Posts: 156
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm thinking about swapping my 1x9 SRAM setup for a 1x10 Shimano Zee one this summer.

My LBS told me I didn't need a lower chain guide with the Shadow+ clutch system, just a top guide.
Is this true?

So if no lower guide is needed then what protection can get for my 34t chainring?
I can't run a bashring if I need a top guide. And I don't need a lower guide even though I could benefit with a taco style guard most come with.

Has anyone seen a direct mount ISCG taco bash guard without a lower guide?
2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I'm trying just a Zee Mech and a bash, no guide at all. I've only tried it on stairs and off kerbs so far and it hasn't come off. I'm taking it off road this weekend.

I did try fitting a Raidium inner guide (with Bash) but it didn't fit my frame. I've bought a top guide, but I like having a full bash, so don't want to fit the top guide if I can avoid it.
  • dhooper7
    dhooper7 Posts: 156
    I had a lower guide, bashring and f mech. Dropped the mech 3 weeks ago and had no end of problems on the trails.

Hope it goes well for you. Let me know
    2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
    2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I run clutch and top guide only (e13 XCX) and its great. Not dropped the chain once. If you run single, a bash is a lot less of an issue as the chain offers your chainring a lot of protection that it doesn't get on a double set up. Ive not missed one.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    What Ben said above. I run an xcx an LG1 and rarely bash the taco plate, so I'll be sticking another xcx on. If you really want the extra protection, rather than those stupid double bash things MRP make the amg which is a top guide with a taco and no lower roller
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Do you need a lower guide - nope, would it help - maybe!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    Run a 1x 10 with Zee mech. Only have a top guide. No problems.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013