Action Camera......

lifestartsat
lifestartsat Posts: 6
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Any reccomendations looking about you can get something cheap and cheerful for about £30 is it a false economy though??? Shall i splash out and get something better??? I am an occasional user get out and about a couple of times a week, but want to record it....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    i had one of the torches style 720p cameras and to be honest,it was shit compared to the gopro i have now,the picture quality is on another planet,go for the best you can afford.
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Can't beat a gopro HD. Sorry but anything less than £150 is not going to be worth it, and even that will not produce very watcheable footage.

I used to have a gopro SD and the quality was what i'd expect for the cheap asking price, but i found i never wanted to use it because the footage was nigh on unwatcheable.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Can't beat a gopro HD. Sorry but anything less than £150 is not going to be worth it, and even that will not produce very watcheable footage.

I used to have a gopro SD and the quality was what i'd expect for the cheap asking price, but i found i never wanted to use it because the footage was nigh on unwatcheable.
    Which is fine as no one has the least interest in watching either of you.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • unquestioned
    unquestioned Posts: 172

I beg to differ http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009CN8VRK/ref=nosim
  • tudj
    tudj Posts: 254

I beg to differ http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009CN8VRK/ref=nosim

I love my ROAM2, the quality isn't as good as the GoPro but I knew that when buying and is plenty for what I want. It offers one handed stop/start recording which is way better than the GoPro IMO.

There are links to my videos in my sig if you want to see some 'real world' examples :P
  • bennett_346
    cooldad wrote:

Say that to the 10,000 channel views i've got :wink:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cooldad wrote:

Say that to the 10,000 channel views i've got :wink:
    My humblest apologies. Let me rephrase that.
    No one of any consequence with a life has the least interest in watching either of you.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    I've got a Veho Muvi micro which does the job. Admittedly it's nowhere near as good as a Gopro HD but it only cost me £12 so had to buy it (think there around £60 new but you can pick them up on ebay).

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • unquestioned
    unquestioned Posts: 172
    Myster101 wrote:
    I've got a Veho Muvi micro which does the job. Admittedly it's nowhere near as good as a Gopro HD but it only cost me £12 so had to buy it (think there around £60 new but you can pick them up on ebay).

Can't recommend this at all. Anything other than flat & it looks like it's being filmed by Michael J Fox, wind noise from these is terrible aswell.
  • bennett_346
    Like i said, spend the money, get something you'll actually want to watch the footage from more than once. It's all well and good having a camera, wearing it and recording something but the end aim of a camera is to produce a video that you'll want to watch again and again and is good enough quality to capture the moment.

For me, a video from this type of first person camera should be at least good enough to make out details on the ground in front of the bike, not suffer from any vibration if possible, and have excellent capability to deal with extreme light and dark, and rapid changes between the two.

I've been there and done the whole cheap camera thing and it's a waste of money, full stop.
  • johnas7
    johnas7 Posts: 39
    I was in 2 minds weather to go for a cheaper one. Quite fancied the go pros. Then thought may get the white go pro which was £1.99. Then seen argo were doing a buy now pay nothing for 9 months if you got an argos card. Applied for it and thought yeh i'll get the black go pro £360. Worked out if i put around £40 away a month i can pay for it just before the 9 months are up and wont get charged interest. Still playing about with it at the mo but the footage is amazing, especially on a 42 inch HD tv. Just got the chest mount so waiting to record some footage using that. I also down loaded the go pro app on my i-phone which is free and is an excellent app.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Jeez - this clip looks terrifying ! https://contour.com/videos/watch/lonsca ... hy-section
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    Why bother with anything other than a GoPro HD3 Black?

The quality is amazing and it comes with a remote. There are several user forums kicking about which provide priceless info on using the camera and editing.

If you are using a chesty when on your bike mount the camera upside down, it allows for the right angle to capture the way ahead.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • Maro wrote:
    Why bother with anything other than a GoPro HD3 Black?

The quality is amazing and it comes with a remote. There are several user forums kicking about which provide priceless info on using the camera and editing.

If you are using a chesty when on your bike mount the camera upside down, it allows for the right angle to capture the way ahead.

Because, unless you're planning on spending time to make more proffesional films that people are going to want to watch, there is no point.

I toyed with the idea of a GoPro black (I currently have a Contour HD 1080p) but whats the point... the video I get from the contour is miles better than anything I need.
    If you're thinking of uploading to YouTube or any other online video player, there is little/no point in buying something that will record in a rediculous resolution - 1) No online player will support it and 2) no one will watch it.

Watching a generic chest cam video is boring, no matter how sharp the video is.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I've been there and done the whole cheap camera thing and it's a waste of money, full stop.

+ 1 Yep same here. Gave the cheap Veho copy things a go, thinking I might be able to get some cool angles as its so small. But the picture quality was pretty rubbish, so I never bothered to re-watch most of the footage.

Unfortunately until the technology becomes cheaper and trickles down into cheaper devices you're gonna have to save up for something good.
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Contour Roam I'd go with over the Go Pro. Much better shape and best footage on the side of the head in my opinion, Go Pro is a rip!