Insurance cashout or wheelies? urgent help

64cousins
64cousins Posts: 26
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi I've just joined but am a long time reader of the forum...

My bike was stolen 2 weeks ago and my insurance company have offered me £1466 cash payout for my canyon nerve XC7 2012, BUT... the direct replacement company Wheelies have told my that with them i can spend £2078...
now I'm confused..my original plan was to take the cash and buy a new Canyon nerve al 29er 8.9...but after the offer from wheelies my first thought was Giant Anthem x 29er1 as its bang on the money.. guess what though....SOLD OUT!

So what would you guys do in my situation?..they have a trance but i'm not sure about them? i ride at cannock mainly but am planning a welsh adventure this year.. that sort of thing.

Has anyone deal with wheelies before? are they any good?
here's a link so you can see what they have. please help...should i take the cash???
http://www.bikereplacement.co.uk/c1/Bikes.aspx

Comments

• Done a quick search...

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... tive-is-20

Seems that if you tell your insurance company that Wheelies can't supply the bike you want (ie another Nerve - Wheelies can't get it you as its direct sales only), then they should give you the full cash payout.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Wheelies are a con anyway. Overpriced so they can give the insurer a fat discount.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 64cousins
    cooldad wrote:
    Wheelies are a con anyway. Overpriced so they can give the insurer a fat discount.
    i suspected as much
  • 64cousins
    they have a trance x1 26" for £2500, it would cost me a about the same as the Canyon after the relative payouts,
    its very hard to compare the two bikes though. anyone got the trance?
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    They are not a con. You get offered a fair cash payout, or more money to spend on a bike through their website at RRP prices. Yes, you can get most bikes elsewhere for less, but the extra you have been offered (c£500) will often outweigh any discount you could get elsewhere.

I was in the same situation - offered £1,400 cash (after payment of the excess) or £2k to spend in their shop. I got a Trance X2, Giant dropper post & some Endura Humvees. No way I could have got that for the £1,400, even if I shopped at Pauls.

So no, it's not a rip off, just bikes at RRP prices, but with an inflated amount to spend. The only other question is whether the base figure you have been offered is the correct price for replacing the Nerve?
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    I agree, you generally get a good discount on current year bikes. Most bike shops will give similar discounts but on previous year models. We ended up with better bikes than the ones that were stollen.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why were the bikes a Marzipan filled confectionary? Sounds a little flexy to me? Handy for a mid ride snack though....oh, that would then the end of ride snack wouldn't it....silly me!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 64cousins
    chrisw333 wrote:
    They are not a con. You get offered a fair cash payout, or more money to spend on a bike through their website at RRP prices. Yes, you can get most bikes elsewhere for less, but the extra you have been offered (c£500) will often outweigh any discount you could get elsewhere.

I was in the same situation - offered £1,400 cash (after payment of the excess) or £2k to spend in their shop. I got a Trance X2, Giant dropper post & some Endura Humvees. No way I could have got that for the £1,400, even if I shopped at Pauls.

So no, it's not a rip off, just bikes at RRP prices, but with an inflated amount to spend. The only other question is whether the base figure you have been offered is the correct price for replacing the Nerve?

Yes I have to say that Wheelies were very honest and straight with me about the whole thing, they also said that i may not have to pay the excess if I did take the cash payout because i was under insured,mainly because i had £1500 limit which would have been fine for just the bike but not all with all the accessories.
    They were right, and i have taken the money and shoved it all into a new canyon nerve al 8.9 29er, which was exactly what i was going to do before the whole wheelies thing...i would definitely have gone for an athem x 29er if they had them though.
    I have to say that im very happy with my insurance company, Am i the first?
    Thanks for your advice everyone