Where to compromise on the little things

Fabius
Fabius Posts: 56
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I'm looking to spend about £1,500 on a new hardtail, not too fussed on the wheel size and there are quite a few contenders either RRP at that price point or from about £1,250 up in last year's clearance.

So at that point all of the bikes pretty much give the option of either a Rockshox Reba or Recon or a Fox Float. I don't think that for what I am doing (50 miles a week though fairly tame trails, the odd rooty section or downhill bumps) the choice of these three forks makes a massive difference, or am I wrong?

The issue I have is all of the little things, like the type of axle, or the brake rotor size, or a tapered steerer or poploc or not. It seems to me after research that you have to give up one or more of these things at that price point. So I'm after a knowledgeable steer on where these few bikes are skimping on the little things and which is more important to retain (and maybe an opinion on the three in my current shortlist and suggested others to look at)? I'm not scared to spend a few quid on upgrades here and there over time if that makes a difference.

http://www.pedalscyclecentre.co.uk/prod ... &vid=11880

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s2p421 ... %282012%29

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/scott_scale_950.html

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Reba is better than the Recon, Recon comes in 2 flavours (gold and silver, gold is alloy stanchioned and lighter) and with 2 springs (coil or air), SID on the GTC is better still.

Some of those little things are irrelevances, some are important, most the former.

For the usage you describe
    1/ Brake rotor size is irrelevant, a 160mm will stop you just fine, besides a 180 disc and adaptor is only about £20-30
    2/ Axle, QR front and rear will be just fine.
    3/ Tapered steerer is one of those things that would be nice to have, but very low on the priority list.
    4/ Poploc - not really needed with decent dampers but another nice to have as long as there are no downsides.
    So do you want a 29er or a 26er (which I think the Cube is)?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Fabius
    Hi,

Thanks for the prompt response. The main thing it seems then is that I needn't worry too much about little things at the margins too much.

I really don't have a preference on wheel size, I'm 6'0" and 80 kilos and I ride a self-modded Giant Revel (26") at the moment that is a bit too big for me (Large 20" frame).

I really like the Cube, which is a 29er, and the Scott, which isn't, and they both look like bargains. I had sold myself on the idea of a 29er until I saw that Scott, a LBS has one of each so maybe I should go and check them out at the weekend?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Cube is the nicest spec there for me.....though I also like the look of the Scotts (My son has one, see link in sig).

As you are looking online, have you looked at Canyon?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Fabius
    Yeah I'm going to test both in the next few days.

I did look at Canyon but they have sold the one that I wanted - AL 9.9 in medium, I was gutted about this as I tried it at the London bike show in January.

I also looked at this one from Radon, but their presence in the UK is very minimal and I can't find any professional English reviews:

http://www.radon-bikes.de/xist4c/web/ZR ... 24058_.htm

Appreciating your help with this...
  • I'm thinking of selling my bike
    It's a carbon giant XTC with reba's and poploc
    Full XTR running gear
    Dt Swiss rims and hubs
    Elixir 5's on the stopping side of things
    Ritchey carbon riser bars
    Only thinking of selling as i'm going over to a F/S if I can get one at the right price
    I'd take £1400 for mine
  • Sorry just seen that you're a six footer !!
    Mine is XS I'm only 5'4 so its spot on for me
    I got it from a lad who was 5'8 and he loved it too but I think 6'0 would e a bit too much lol
    Good luck in your search mate
  • Fabius
    Pretty sure I've settled on this now

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s2p421 ... %282012%29

Saving me enough cash for a decent immediate wheel upgrade, the spec is the same as the GTC SL where it matters (Only really losing the SID for the Reba but as far as I can tell this is more weight than anything else?). A mate has a GTC Pro so hoping to get round there and check the sizing.
  • symanoy
    symanoy Posts: 123
    Looks like a good spec for a good price! Shimano XT stop and go gear and a reba fork. All solid stuff.
    I wouldn't upgrade anything immediately, see how you like it first, and upgrade what lets you down.
    Giant Trance X2 Build Sadly since stolen!
    replaced with Giant Trance MKII
  • Fabius
    Thanks Symanoy. Shimano XT all the way through definitely gave it the edge over the GTC version that they have at £1,049. The brakes get a much better review than the Formulas and I've no experience of SRAM drivetrain kit, although X0 is bound to be decent.

Cube seem to stack a lot of kit on their bikes and there is a lot of positive stuff said about them, which is good when you're about to chuck a grand at a bike!! Maybe you're right about the upgrades, I'll be going from a 30lb+ Giant entry level to a sub 25lb thoroughbred so I should give it a good go first as it is. The only thing I might have to change is the bar as I need something nice and wide and I can't see anywhere what the width of the 'oversized' Syntace is.

Just looking forward to getting it ordered and in my life now! A lot of research has gone into this and I'm getting quite excited...
  • snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    Hi all just got the cube gtc reaction sl from Paul's cycles excellent service had it a couple of weeks now and to be honest its a excellent bike for the money i am 5 10 with 33 inside leg and its just big enough
  • Fabius
    What size did you get snowster?
  • snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    Doh sorry got a 18 inch so if your 6 foot I would be looking at the 20
  • Fabius
    Nice one, the guy I ride with is similar and he said definitely go for 20" frame.