Insurance

kennygalbraith
kennygalbraith Posts: 101
edited May 2013 in Commuting general
Hi

I have a daily commute of 18 miles(return trip) which I really enjoy. My home insurance is due up and I paid an extra £50 last year to make sure my bike and accessories were covered(Garmin,lock,lights)

This year I'd rather use in independent insurer so that I have liability cover as well, could anyone recommend anyone or am I better joining a club with its own cover etc?

Thanks in advance
Ken

Comments

• TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    £50 extra for the bike plus accessories is brilliant vfm in my experience. The dedicated policies usually come out pretty expensive. If you're looking at getting 3rd party liability, look at membership of CTC or British Cycling.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • so far I've got a quote for the £50 mark which includes theft,breakdown,liability etc
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Hmm, doesn't sound too bad actually - out of interest, who's that with, and what's the value of the bike you're insuring? I'm probably going to have to plump for standalone bike insurance shortly as about to enter a period of living between a couple of addresses and home contents don't really like that!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    Your home insurance almost certainly gives you liability cover, although there may still be advantages to getting a separate cycling policy.
  • jamm13dodger
    jamm13dodger Posts: 106
    so far I've got a quote for the £50 mark which includes theft,breakdown,liability etc

breakdown? Are you sure this is a cycle policy? What happens do you call the AA bike section? :lol:
  • That was with eta which I found at http://www.money.co.uk/bicycle-insurance.htm

£500 was just under £50,£600 was £56 included excess of £25

and just incase anyone is wondering I don't work for any insurance company!

Paste n copy

Green Cycle Insurance from the ETA

Our cycle insurance offers an unrivalled level of cover at a great price. Every bicycle insurance policy includes the following for one price:

Theft, accidental damage & vandalism (including triathlons & events)
    No de-valuation of your bike over time
    £1m third party and personal accident*
    Shed and garage cover
    Covers bikes up to £5,000
    Low excess – 5% (£25 minimum)
    Discount for folding bikes
    Cycle Rescue (breakdown cover for your bike)
    90 days Europe + 60 days worldwide
    Electric bikes covered as standard
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    That was with eta which I found at http://www.money.co.uk/bicycle-insurance.htm

£500 was just under £50,£600 was £56 included excess of £25

and just incase anyone is wondering I don't work for any insurance company!

Paste n copy

Green Cycle Insurance from the ETA

Our cycle insurance offers an unrivalled level of cover at a great price. Every bicycle insurance policy includes the following for one price:

Theft, accidental damage & vandalism (including triathlons & events)
    No de-valuation of your bike over time
    £1m third party and personal accident*
    Shed and garage cover
    Covers bikes up to £5,000
    Low excess – 5% (£25 minimum)
    Discount for folding bikes
    Cycle Rescue (breakdown cover for your bike)
    90 days Europe + 60 days worldwide
    Electric bikes covered as standard

I use these - mines around £70/£80 for a £900 bike (or bike and a few accessories)

My home insurance might cover it...but you'd get deprecation I would've thought and I've got an excess of £200. I have to replace my bike with one from Tesco's with the money i'd get from that ;)
  • feemackenzie
    feemackenzie Posts: 130
    SO can I clear this up. You've chosen to use eta instead of British Cycling because it is an insurance policy for you bike against damage plus personal liability. Unlike the British Cycling which is the liability only.
    Felt z95 - loving my first road bike