When do you decide to buy a new bike?

BigLee1
BigLee1 Posts: 449
edited May 2013 in The bottom bracket
I`ve got 3 bikes, a full suss, roadbike & hardtail. I keep fadding about getting a new bike but tbh they all do what I want, I`d consider a full suss 29er with me being a big lad but can`t really think that the extra spends for upgrding the other bikes to something newer would be worth it :D
The full suss is a `07 Kona Dawg deluxe and the roady is a Trek Pilot 1.2 `06 vintage but the hardtail is only a year old.

Do you just wear pads out then get a new bike or is it like triggers brush? My Trek is, the only original bits are the frame, forks. bars,stem, seatpost front & rear derailing things and the crank :lol:

Comments

• ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    N is very unstable and always trying to evolve. It usually takes several weeks before you notice that N is striving to be N+1 again. Over time N+1 becomes even more pervasive and persuasive, and is very hard/impossible to ignore.
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    If all the bikes in your Current stable , cover all your cycling needs/ requirements then you are indeed a lucky man.

I however in 35 years plus have never reached that Zen like state , have you considered you need the following at the very least:

Winter hack
    Commuter
    Tourer
    Singlespeed Fixie
    Road Training Bike
    Road Race Bike
    TT Bike
    Triathlon Bike
    CX bike
    Sunday best Bike
    Something Titanium
    Hardtail MTB
    Full Suss Mtb
    29er
    Pub Bike

At the moment I ve managed to get that list down to 5 bikes, Mostly by owning a Planet X kaffenbach that covers 4 of the above and Whyte 19 hardtail that covers another 3. But I really do want something titanium .
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    When the ashtray's full of course.......
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    I have one bike, and I don't even feel the need to get new wheels let alone a new bike.

Mostly I feel the need to push harder on the pedals and go faster for longer instead.

What's wrong with me???? Am I simply not a proper cyclist? Surely I'm not just a (gulp)...

... bike rider? :shock:
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • tim_wand
    I have one bike, and I don't even feel the need to get new wheels let alone a new bike.

Mostly I feel the need to push harder on the pedals and go faster for longer instead.

What's wrong with me???? Am I simply not a proper cyclist? Surely I'm not just a (gulp)...

... bike rider? :shock:

Shame on you with your SW postcode. Surely you don't use your Pinarello Dogma to Play bike polo on?
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    The only reason I`ve replaced bits on my Trek such as wheels is that they`ve worn out :D
    Yes Tim, I`ve considered many of those bikes on your list ;)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    One bike, ride it all year round. 25mm Conti 4 Seasons and full mudguards (though they are off at the moment :D )
    Coming up to 6 years old and apart from the saddle which took 2 goes to get right I've replaced 3 chains, 2 tyres and one gear cable.

I'll only be buying a new bike if this one gets nicked or crashed.
  • tim_wand
    keef66 wrote:
    One bike, ride it all year round. 25mm Conti 4 Seasons and full mudguards (though they are off at the moment :D )
    Coming up to 6 years old and apart from the saddle which took 2 goes to get right I've replaced 3 chains, 2 tyres and one gear cable.

I agree! You know what they say, look after your bike and your bike will look after you.

I ve had the same bike for 30 years, but I ve looked after it! Its had 30 new frames, 45 new groupsets and 20 new wheelsets and 2 brooks saddles. Just like Triggers broom, at least that's what I tell Mrs W.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    tim wand wrote:
    If all the bikes in your Current stable , cover all your cycling needs/ requirements then you are indeed a lucky man.

I however in 35 years plus have never reached that Zen like state , have you considered you need the following at the very least:

Winter hack
    Commuter
    Tourer
    Singlespeed Fixie
    Road Training Bike
    Road Race Bike
    TT Bike
    Triathlon Bike
    CX bike
    Sunday best Bike
    Something Titanium
    Hardtail MTB
    Full Suss Mtb
    29er
    Pub Bike

At the moment I ve managed to get that list down to 5 bikes, Mostly by owning a Planet X kaffenbach that covers 4 of the above and Whyte 19 hardtail that covers another 3. But I really do want something titanium .

That should be 2 pub bikes for when you forget where you left the past one. :mrgreen:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,197
    I got two bikes - one for summer one for winter. The summer bike hasn't been out for years 'cos we haven't had a summer for years.
    Once I have repatriated T47b back to Russia, I am going to squat in his house. I will sell the winter bike of course at this point.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    we still get winter here too. You still need two bikes, can't use carbon in the summer it would melt :shock:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    tim wand wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

I agree! You know what they say, look after your bike and your bike will look after you.

I ve had the same bike for 30 years, but I ve looked after it! Its had 30 new frames, 45 new groupsets and 20 new wheelsets and 2 brooks saddles. Just like Triggers broom, at least that's what I tell Mrs W.

Made me laugh,that's exactly the same sketch i thought of as well when i read that.True enough though if your happy on one bike with no troubles.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    I just crashed and broke my carbon frame so... new bike required.

However, ideally I would have/need:

Sunday best 'classy' bike - steel
    Mean racing machine - carbon
    drop bars for rainy autumn/winter days or frost - CX bike
    dirty mud bike - hardtail MTB
    drive up to the mountains and ride bike - full sus freeride bike
  • Lysander
    Lysander Posts: 349
    I have three bikes and to be honest only one gets taken out on a regular basis
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    team47b wrote:
    we still get winter here too. You still need two bikes, can't use carbon in the summer it would melt :shock:

Don't you mean the winter?

Also, there is no end to the number of bikes you need. I've got a very long list at the moment so I end up modifying my current bikes to suit different purposes. Oh how nice it would be to have a garage full of them :roll:

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    I find it's less a decision, more of an instinctual urge. Like salmon swimming upstream or birds migrating south for the winter. When it's time, it's time and no practicalities will change that - objections of girlfriends, insufficiency of funds, lack of storage space... nothing.

I feel that time approaching soon.
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    declan1 wrote:
    team47b wrote:

Don't you mean the winter?:

Just turning the old joke around to suit the lack of rain here and extreme heat in the summer, although I do know someone who left his mobile phone out all day in the sun and it did in fact melt :D

Back OT, I don't think anyone decides to buy a new bike, I think we all spend our time resisting the temptation, but then the addiction becomes too strong...and we give in :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • dodgerdog
    dodgerdog Posts: 292
    tim wand wrote:

Winter hack
    Commuter
    Tourer
    Singlespeed Fixie
    Road Training Bike
    Road Race Bike
    TT Bike
    Triathlon Bike
    CX bike
    Sunday best Bike
    Something Titanium
    Hardtail MTB
    Full Suss Mtb
    29er
    Pub Bike

You have missed out the bike on the Turbo as a training rig. :lol:
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,197
    In answer to the original OP - When you want one !
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!