The Colombian Conspiracy

LeicesterLad
LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
edited May 2013 in Pro race
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team-sky-plays-down-talk-of-a-colombian-conspiracy-within-team

All seems a little far fetched? Brad V Froome and now the Brad V The Colombians.

Stay tuned for Brad V the World.

Comments

• disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team-sky-plays-down-talk-of-a-colombian-conspiracy-within-team

All seems a little far fetched? Brad V Froome and now the Brad V The Colombians.

I love the journalistic "Play down"... Somebody says something is complete chuffing nonsense but they're merely seeking to stop people talking about something that's definitely true.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908

I love the journalistic "Play down"... Somebody says something is complete chuffing nonsense but they're merely seeking to stop people talking about something that's definitely true.

I like that it's a 'Colombian conspiracy' even though if it is true it only involves one Colombian (the article suggests Henao will ride beyond this year).
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Think it's a load of rubbish. Uran and Henao have always seemed quite happy to do their share of teamwork before.

I would imagine they were told to try and go for the win in order to nick some bonus seconds, probably assuming that Wiggins could make it through the last few KMs on his own.

Henao seems to have made real progress this year, whereas Uran seems to have been on the fringes of the action, wouldn't be surprised if he moves on. Then again those two often seem joined at the hip.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    CN gets more and more like the Sunday Sport every day (is that still going?) - without boobs, obvs.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    CN gets more and more like the Sunday Sport every day (is that still going?) - without boobs, obvs.

I just googled it and confirm that it does still exist.

When I was at school it was a real treat to find a used copy of the Sport on the train, oh how easily amused (or aroused) we were...
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    "However Team Sky has insisted that Uran and Henao did not ride for themselves on the stage but followed team orders that had been decided before the start of the stage. Head coach Rod Ellingworth told Cyclingnews at the start of stage five that both Uran and Henao were told to contest the sprint to try and take away the 20, 12 and 8 second time bonuses from Wiggins' rivals."

But since that doesn't fit our story we'll ignore it. They're going after the Cyclismas chasm in the market *snorts*
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Did seem very much a non story from reading it
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Team Sky "insisted" - I wondered if that "insisted" went along the lines of - "What? You're kidding right? Do you know ANYTHING about cycling? Feck off - you idiots"....

Colombian conspiracy to ride for themselves, was it an Italian conspiracy to take pink? Cyclingnews (and Gazetto where rumour came from) turning into "UK Cycling Expert"....
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    In other news, Team Sky and British Cycling have refused to comment on reports that Sir Dave is taking over from Sir Alex Ferguson. Apparently Sir Dave will be sharing his time between Team Sky, Old Trafford and the National Velodrome. Using the mantra of marginal gains that was so successful in the world of cycling a new office is being built for Sir Dave at Piccadilly Station (upstairs near KFC). As part of the deal, Utd will change their kit to black with the thin blue line (the difference between winning and losing) no doubt causing several myocardial infarctations throughout the Greater Manchester area. BSkyB will be taking over shirt sponsorship once Utd's current deal expires. In related news Rapha also refuse to comment that they have set up a subsidiary 'football lifestyle clothing company' Ra-FA. A source inside Rapha says "we can charge even more for footie shirts than we do for bike shirts, a win-win situation all round"