star nut

gazeddy
gazeddy Posts: 305
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
can they be re used gonna pull it out of my dj3 as ive just bought a hope headset and try and refit it to my dj2
I rode what you dug last summer

Comments

• BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    Yes, if you're able to knock it all the way down and out the other end of the steerer tube. But some steerer tubes have a thicker tube near the fork crown, so you might struggle, or squash the star nut too much.

But it's worth a try - it's only purpose is setting the headset compression while tightening the stem bolts, so it's not exactly a precision component...
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Really wouldn't bother. It'll be bent, gouge the tube, take ages and be a complete faff. Spend the couple of quid and get it from the shop, they may even fit it for free, because that is a pain too without the correct tool.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    the headset should come with a hope head doctor (well all the hope 1's I have bought came with 1)

this replaces that star nut (never liked them all but the hack bike have head doctors in them)

follow the instructions and make sure the correct internal parts are greased up before you use it and make sure the bung is tight in there before you assemble the rest of the steering
  • RobJ20
    RobJ20 Posts: 48
    The Hope pick n mix headsets dont come with a head doctor.
    But definitly get a head doctor so much easier to fit and remove.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Throw the head doctor away if you get one and buy a new star nut for £2.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • gazeddy
    the head doctor is the reason i want to reuse the star nut my bike is running the dj3 (dj2 lowers are cracked) which currently has a star nut but i want to use the head doctor
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    gazeddy wrote:
    the head doctor is the reason i want to reuse the star nut my bike is running the dj3 (dj2 lowers are cracked) which currently has a star nut but i want to use the head doctor
    Huh?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • gazeddy
    my new headset came with head doctor. i want to use the complete headset on my bike which is currently using a star nut. i was wanting to move the star nut to my dj2s which are currently u/s but are being welded to repair the crack. may just buy another head doctor
  • RobJ20
    RobJ20 Posts: 48
    If there is a star nut already in there just leave it there and use it, the only benefit of the head doctor is ease of moving it from fork to fork.
  • gazeddy
    having not looked properly at the hope headset the head doctor uses an m6 thread so ill use the hope top cap and bolt with star nut
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    Seems like most people replying didn't read the original post.

He's trying to re-use the star nut on another bike as his new Hope headset comes with an equivalent.

A new star-nut might only cost £2 but then it's a 5 minute job to remove the old one. If he leaves the old one in, he's still going to have to knock it down a quarter of the length of the steerer tube if fitting the head-doctor, so may as well knock it all the way through with an old broom handle.

Gazeddy - ignore comments about the risk of star-nut removal scratching your steerer tube - your DJ3 has a steel steerer which won't get scratched.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Did you even read the rest of the post?

He can reuse in the way that he leaves it where it is!
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    gazeddy wrote:
    having not looked properly at the hope headset the head doctor uses an m6 thread so ill use the hope top cap and bolt with star nut

That's exactly what I did, I didn't think the head doctor was up to much so just used the top cap as it looked nice.