QECP - Head Down - warning danger of death this weekend!

bartimaeus
bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
edited May 2013 in Routes
First up, the official QECP (Queen Elizabeth Country Park) trails - Red and Blue - are open and unaffected by this PSA...

But for those of you who have been 'testing' trails in the Head Down area (200m etc) please be aware that Head Down is not an official part of the QE trails, and that this weekend (11th/12th May) it is CLOSED to everyone as it is being used for an Archery contest. It's not a stand and shoot at targets contest either - this is walk in the woods and shoot at stuff.

So please KEEP OUT... if you ride in Head Down this weekend you may get shot, and worse still we may lose all MTB access to this area of QECP.
Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building

Comments

• bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I don't think we have had any conflicts recently - but this is what happened to the last group of riders who ignored the archery signs:
    bayeux1.jpg
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Walk in the woods and shoot at stuff, sounds right up a few people heres street.

I prefer targeted.
  • scottfitz
    scottfitz Posts: 283
    I was up there last night. There are signs at the entrance to the woodland and at the trail heads.
  • scottfitz
    scottfitz Posts: 283
    Email i got today from the park manager:

the weekends archery competition went well with 90 odd archers on each day. See blog. When I was up there on the Saturday two cyclists appeared right in the middle of the circuit and caused small chaos. I have an image which I will shoot across.In the end all resolved but a pain.
    The organisers did mantion however that they appreciated the message on your site so thanks for that.

:shock:
  • Huckfinn
    Huckfinn Posts: 142
    I have only heard of one person getting hit during one of these types of archery events and he was standing in the safe area. The arrow broke his collar bone!