chain device query

pesky_jones
pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, I have no chain device on my patriot 7+ so when I'm riding a line my chain is slapping all over the place and just sounds ugly. When I finish the line, or after a large drop or jump the chain sometimes jumps down to the granny ring which is annoying because I don't notice on the push back up untill I start the run again and then get a sh1t start.

Its a dual chain ring with a truvativ bash. The bike is a 05 patriot 7+. The bike wont have isg mounts, old or new so I will need a BB mount. I have one black spacer between the bb and bb cup if you know what I mean, so this would be what I swap with the chain device?

Also, Ideally id like a top and bottom chain device if you know what I mean (like this one http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=82800) but I cant have this as (1.) ISG mounted, (2.) I already have a bash in place.

Can anyone suggest the cheapest and easiest way of solving my problem described in the first paragraph. thanks

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    The guide you linked comes in a bb mount version which replaces one of the bb spacers, can't see why it wouldn't work. Also because it has the taco bash plate, you won't need the bash guard, the taco is plenty strong enough
  • pesky_jones
    lawman wrote:
    The guide you linked comes in a bb mount version which replaces one of the bb spacers, can't see why it wouldn't work. Also because it has the taco bash plate, you won't need the bash guard, the taco is plenty strong enough

Right, so I would just remove my current bash, replace it with the device I linked by swapping out the spacer, and then everything will run hunky dory? happy days
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Hi all, I have no chain device on my patriot 7+ so when I'm riding a line my chain is slapping all over the place and just sounds ugly.
    a chain device will not stop that.
    When I finish the line, or after a large drop or jump the chain sometimes jumps down to the granny ring which is annoying because I don't notice on the push back up untill I start the run again and then get a sh1t start.
    and whos fault is that? ps it will not stop that either.

a bottom roller will help but will not fix aal your problems.

cranks and fitting? and BB width?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    nice and cheap. will help with the problems but not eliminate them

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=17282
  • pesky_jones
    sofaboy73 wrote:
    nice and cheap. will help with the problems but not eliminate them

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=17282

Thanks alot, I should of been more specific and included this originally in the description (that I was never aiming to completely eradicate the chain bouncing around, just to reduce it significantly).

I was looking at these a while ago, but was worried they wernt compatible with two chain rings.
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    They work fine for most double and bash set ups. Just remove the plastic spacer between the bb and frame
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so again what cranks and fitting and what BB shell width?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pesky_jones
    Truvativ Ruktion cranks

Hussefelt Howitzer Race BB - I have a feeling its 73mm