2012 Carrera Fury or 2009 Giant XTC4

globus213
globus213 Posts: 9
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi! I'm looking for honest opinions on the choice between keeping my 2012 Carrera Fury, or buying my mates 2009 model Giant XTC4 (he wants £350 for it - reasonable?) and then selling my Carrera.

Most of my biking is along bridle-ways / woodland trails with the occasional visit to Cannock Chase.

I haven't had chance to have a look and test the Giant yet, but I'd appreciate any thoughts / comments on which would be the better bike to keep or go for...

My Carrera: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_810735_langId_-1_categoryId_165499

The Giant:
http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/mountain/2442/32687/?collections_id=4

Thanks!

Comments

• MrM
    MrM Posts: 60
    I wouldn't pay that much for a 2009 giant xtc4
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That Giant is worth about £150 - 350 is avin a giraffe, it's a very similar spec (quality wise) to the Vulcan which you'd be getting brand new!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • globus213
    Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm assuming you mean it's a similar spec to the Carrera Fury (which I already own)?

Any other comments are very much welcomed...

I just want to know I'm making the right choice and not getting ripped off - I'm glad I took the time to register on here and ask!

Thanks for the help, guys!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Fury you linked to is much, much better. The Dart 2 on the Giant is pretty rubbish.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    globus213 wrote:
    Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm assuming you mean it's a similar spec to the Carrera Fury (which I already own)?

Any other comments are very much welcomed...

I just want to know I'm making the right choice and not getting ripped off - I'm glad I took the time to register on here and ask!

Thanks for the help, guys!
    no i think he meant the Vulcan, the Fury is much better than the Giant
  • globus213
    Sorry - all makes sense now! The Vulcan being part of the Carrera range and all that...
  • The Rookie
    Yup, sorry, didn't make it clear.......

Dart fork is very poor, root brakes not very good (and seem unreliable), poor groupset as well, in fact there is nothing on it as good as your Fury (which you can feel free to post in the Carrera HT thread as linked to in my sig).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • globus213
    I will at some stage. I'd like to make a few more subtle mods to it yet... Its mostly fairly standard anyway. Cheers for your feedback.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Giant has an excellent, light frame but everything else on it is crap. I have got a 2009 XTC frame and it's a great ride but mine is a custom build.
  • globus213
    Thanks! This is just the sort of feedback I was hoping for. Looks like you've saved me from making a costly error and a decision I would regret. Looks like my Carrera Fury is here to stay!
  • The Rookie
    The Carrera has an excellent light frame as well.....similar weight and geomtry to a Rockhopper (which would of course have been made in the same factory!)