Richie Porte renews with Team Sky

Richmond Racer
Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
edited December 2013 in Pro race
I know I'm going to get ticked off for the extravagence of starting a thread on this...but tough.

It has the Brucie bonus of seriously hacking off the Aussies

http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290, ... 47,00.html

It also means Wiggo had better bloody win the Giro THIS year...

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    It might mean Fenton has already packed his bags?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I just hope they haven't promised him that he'll leader for the Tour in 2014.

I don't know if there's any truth I the rumour that Alex Ferguson is joining as a DS in time for the Dauphine.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Hmmm, yeah. He's made no secret of the fact that he loves it there has he. Fair enough really...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • hasbeen
    hasbeen Posts: 41
    ddraver wrote:
    Hmmm, yeah. He's made no secret of the fact that he loves it there has he. Fair enough really...

In a turbulent world, he's got what amounts to job security: win some prestigious early season stage races then become a domestique deluxe for the Tour. Sacrifice a possible Tour podium spot on a team like GreenEdge for a decent length contract with a well run team and guaranteed income
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Porte strikes me as quite a pragmatic, logical chap. The sort who might sacrifice some of the perks of outright leadership for a longer, more secure contract with a team he clearly feels happy at. Cyclists have mortgages and bills to pay just like us.

I get the feeling that he's a rider who is happy to exist just outside of the limelight and that he's just as happy riding for a team mate as he is riding for himself (in fact he's said so himself in interviews). He's steadily building up a decent palmares at Sky, can see him being happy to settle for a leadership role at the Giro or the Vuelta next year.

I can see Froome leaving Sky at some point soon, can see Miss Cound turning his head and him taking an outright leadership role with a smaller team. Having said that I think he might regret that in the long run, for all their faults, Sky do seem to look after their riders pretty well. I doubt he would have had anything like the success he'd had if he'd stayed at a team like Barloworld.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Richmond Racer
    hasbeen wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

In a turbulent world, he's got what amounts to job security: win some prestigious early season stage races then become a domestique deluxe for the Tour. Sacrifice a possible Tour podium spot on a team like GreenEdge for a decent length contract with a well run team and guaranteed income

He signed for Sky for 800k in 2011. New contract should be a very nice uptick on that.

Giro leader next year, methinks...

I'll be surprised if Froome and Sky renew. Cant for the life of me see Brad and Froome continuing in the same team for another season. And Brad and Porte get on very well, Porte's a different kind of character from Froome - and no crazy missus squawking like a demented parrot all the time.
  • inkyfingers
    Where did you get the salary figure from RR?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Does that mean he's now going to send Andy McQ off to start negotiating with other teams now?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Richmond Racer
    Where did you get the salary figure from RR?

Quote from JV. Read it in a tweet a while back, either direct from JV's twitter feed or a link to a post of JV over at the Clinic. It was around the time the tin foil brigade got in a tizz over Porte's P-N win. JV was defending Sky and Porte, and referred to Porte's salary in context of 'if he wasnt reckoned to be such a big talent why do you think teams were fighting each other to pay his 800k salary'
  • inkyfingers
    Thanks RR, just curious as to how a figure like that became public.

Bit obsessed with numbers me, ironic seeing as I can't add up.
  • Richmond Racer
    Thanks RR, just curious as to how a figure like that became public.

Bit obsessed with numbers me, ironic seeing as I can't add up.

:)

I read WAY too much stuff...
  • inkyfingers
    Find me a book with numbers and i'm like a pig in shit, the Wisden Almanack is a favourite.

It's astonishing that I found a woman prepared to marry me.
  • Richmond Racer
    Find me a book with numbers and i'm like a pig in shoot, the Wisden Almanack is a favourite.

Whilst your head's stuck in Wisden's, you're not likely to be rooting around at the back of the wardrobe for any clothes, handbags or shoes still in the shop packaging... :wink:
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    inky - my mate is editing Wisden at the moment.

RR - I thought that it was Porte and Froome who were the big mates.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    This one's for you Inky: list of Sky Procycling rider contracts

c8821d3e0ec1deeee6e0671428ec68ed.jpg
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Richmond Racer
    mroli wrote:
    inky - my mate is editing Wisden at the moment.

RR - I thought that it was Porte and Froome who were the big mates.

True but he's also very loyal to Wiggins - it comes through in most interviews he gives, and whenever he talks about him.

Richmond 'Sky gossip' Racer
  • inkyfingers
    Find me a book with numbers and i'm like a pig in shoot, the Wisden Almanack is a favourite.

Whilst your head's stuck in Wisden's, you're not likely to be rooting around at the back of the wardrobe for any clothes, handbags or shoes still in the shop packaging... :wink:

My wife is quite up front about her clothes buying, she says that she only buys stuff that's on offer, her logic is faultless...if somethings discounted by 50% you can buy double the amount can't you!

mroll, is your mate Lawrence Booth? If so tell him i'm a fan of his work.

Macaloon, I did go through a phase of reading a page of the dictionary every day, but draw the line with phone books!
  • inkyfingers
    Oh and RR, there is surely a job on the team at Cycling Weekly for you, Official Sky correspondent.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    inky - will do. He was a massive cricket enthusiast - not a great player, but mad keen. Was far more of a fan than anyone in the team! Nice to see him do so well - mind you we had Simon Briggs (telegraph) in the year above as well, so there must have been something in the water! Briggs a very, very dour opening bat.... Boycottesque!
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Oh and RR, there is surely a job on the team at Cycling Weekly for you, Official Sky pen pal.
    8)
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Richmond Racer
    edited May 2013
    Oh and RR, there is surely a job on the team at Cycling Weekly for you, Official Sky correspondent.

*applying as we speak*

Can also bring to the table similar and sad levels of knowledge re British domestic teams

WFH obvs - not going anywhere near Croydon
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Does he have a shot at leading Sky for the Vuelta THIS year?
  • inkyfingers
    mroli wrote:
    inky - will do. He was a massive cricket enthusiast - not a great player, but mad keen. Was far more of a fan than anyone in the team! Nice to see him do so well - mind you we had Simon Briggs (telegraph) in the year above as well, so there must have been something in the water! Briggs a very, very dour opening bat.... Boycottesque!

Excellent stuff. Talking of Boycott, he excellent @FredBoycott is worth a follow on twitter, lots of excellent advice, such as.. if your fellow batsman starts playing any fancy shots you shot endeavour to run them out at the earliest opportunity.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Unsurprising news.

tumblr_mfuau2bKyi1rhcvito1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_m6gxinc13W1qesi6wo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_lpt20aktbJ1r0jyn7o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_lmh9vxiOeA1qecowdo1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    Porte on his extension
    http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/ne ... et-science

None too much there. He likes GE, he'd like to go there, he likes Sky and wants to stay and his former team's ripping apart the NRS.
    mroli wrote:

Excellent stuff. Talking of Boycott, he excellent @FredBoycott is worth a follow on twitter, lots of excellent advice, such as.. if your fellow batsman starts playing any fancy shots you shot endeavour to run them out at the earliest opportunity.
    Discussion about fredboycott popped up in commentary during the Derby Yorkies match when Chesney Hughes was going mental. The commentators reckoned it was a Lancastrian taking the piss- not too outrageous- and even said it could be Bumble- quite outrageous.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Porte says he’ll leave Team Sky when his contract is up, wants chance at personal glory. “As much as I love being there and being the wingman, it's not what I always want to do”
    according to VeloNation
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/15935 ... z2mPODR3NX
  • dish_dash wrote:
    Porte says he’ll leave Team Sky when his contract is up, wants chance at personal glory. “As much as I love being there and being the wingman, it's not what I always want to do”
    according to VeloNation

Good for him
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    dish_dash wrote:
    according to VeloNation

Makes sense, he is a very talented rider, I would be shocked if someone that good did not want to find out just how gifted they are. Hope he gets a good team that will back him. It will make the GTs even more exciting as he will, hopefully, take the Sky methods and systems that have got the best out of him and apply them at his new team. :D
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Is too early to start the Porte to Tinkoff rumours? ;)
  • dish_dash wrote:
    Is too early to start the Porte to Tinkoff rumours? ;)

Gerry Ryan will sell a shedload more caravans - and possibly his soul - to try to buy Porte. Wanted him this year but Richtea said 'no, why would I want to sign with Greenpeace'

EDIT: and Froome might as well start learning to feed himself this year :wink: