Work bike stands For £50 and bellow

CUBEical
CUBEical Posts: 211
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
hi there im looking to get a work bike stand that i can use to rebuild my bike and do repairs on it i have seen plenty bellow £50 but are the y any good can you let me know what ones you use and how they have coped . i have not got a lot of money so i would like the best cheapest possible idea thanks guys
I am sorry if I talk to much s@#t it goes with the name.............

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I can BELLOW if you like......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    Have you got any links to ones that you have seen?
    From experience, the only one that I had (an Aldi special), was next to useless.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
  • CUBEical
    this is the cheapest standing one ive seen http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321077333203? ... 1438.l2649
    would somthing like this be any good
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-HOME-MECH ... 2ec6e96468
    unless you go into the £100s i dont really see that much difference
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MECHANICS-STA ... 27cb31db01
    i just want to know if i get one for say like 30 if there is any point
  • EH_Rob
    the one at the top looks like it wont work.

the bottom 2 might, but as you say they look pretty similar but are different prices. they also look similar to the one i linked to.
  • CUBEical
    EH_Rob would i be happy spending £42 on the one you got as i think that is the best looking one ?you seem happy with it. while we on the subject what about something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160624752473? ... 1438.l2649

lol
  • Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    The biggest issue with the cheap stands is the quality of the clips. Mine weren't strong enough, so that if any effort was needed (e.g. to remove pedals) the clips would loosen. It could only hold the bike in one place too.
    (Whereas my the stand in my LBS can hold anything at any angle.)

Problem with a wall mounting is that you will have to remove and replace the bike in order to get to both sides.
    The beauty of a stand is that you can work on both sides of the bike moving it.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • EH_Rob
    Although I haven't tried every available stand at this price range, I'm happy with it and would recommend it. The clips aren't that strong, but the frame of the stand is well put together, and it can cope with holding my bike at a few different angles. It has held the bike sturdily whilst I've been changing frame bearings, so it isn't bad, but as with everything, you get what you pay for. I'm sure the Parktools ones are excellent, but they're double the price. It comes with a parts tray too, which is very useful.
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    I have the 'Folding Floor Stand' in the selection from here. It's the MK2 version with the blue clamps. Works really well for me and I have no issues with stability or dropping the bikes etc. Really good value too at less than £40 posted. I definitely recommend it.
  • CUBEical
    thanks guys been very helpful, the main reason i want to get one of these is i am in the process of re spraying my frame and then im going to rebuilt it from scratch so really could do with one of these as i would have to risk scratching the frame id have to install the forks first and then struggle to get back wheel on then it should be fine but it will be so much easier with a bike stand ....
  • EH_Rob
    yep, i actually enjoy maintaining my bike when its in a stand, without one its a total pain.
  • The Rookie
    While I can understand the appeal, I've never used a stand, I've built about 15 bikes before without an issue, and 4 have had resprayed frames.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CUBEical
    While I can understand the appeal, I've never used a stand, I've built about 15 bikes before without an issue, and 4 have had resprayed frames.
    ok that is great , what steps would you suggest i re build it then ? :D
  • The Rookie
    Headset, forks, wheels and then the rest in pretty much any old order, I do the first stuff in the lounge on the carpet and finish off in the Utility! (as some bits then get muddy!).

Record build was 75mins from bare frame to test ride, That was with everything going on it all ready to grab though!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Unless it's nice and sunny outside I normally do mine on the coffee table in the lounge.
    One of the perks of being divorced.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • CUBEical
    cooldad wrote:
    Unless it's nice and sunny outside I normally do mine on the coffee table in the lounge.
    lol im sure my mrs will let me get it started in doors, when i took it apart i left everything connected ie the cables to the gears and brakes is this going to be a problem in putting it back together ? i was going to do it in that order any way . would be good to have a work stand though. i am going to try beat your record time lol probably wont come any where close though
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    cooldad wrote:

I only work on the bike outside in the sun (with no stand) - it's the only way
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Kevin T
    Kevin T Posts: 6
    Although its more than £50.00, yesterday I purchased the BIKEHUT workshop stand from Halfords it was on offer at just under £83.00, brilliant bit of kit in my opinion, only wish I'd bought one years ago makes things so much simpler.
  • CUBEical
    Kevin T wrote:
    Although its more than £50.00, yesterday I purchased the BIKEHUT workshop stand from Halfords it was on offer at just under £83.00, brilliant bit of kit in my opinion, only wish I'd bought one years ago makes things so much simpler.
    they got 25% off at moment i just not got that sort of money id love to have one