Giro feature anyone rate it???

sigorman85
sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
edited May 2013 in MTB general
Thinking of getting one of these as went to the roadie fad for a bit but came bk the mtb scene now need a new helmet and have been looking at this

Whats you view on it ?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mobi ... &x=34&y=13
When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2

Comments

• Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    It looks similar to the Urge Endur-O-Matic; something between a XC and full-face helmet.
    It's all personal choice, but if I was blasting down techy stuff, I would probably go full-face (or pisspot).

I like them - Giro seem to be the only company who do helmets that fit my melon-shaped head - but there's not enough venting for my liking.
    I went for a Giro Hex - I do more long rides than techy stuff, so weight and ventilation is important to me.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Had a Feature for about a year now it's not too bad.

Although it might look like an Urge it's quite a bit different - the Urge fits with thick/thin pads but the Feature has a proper adjustable cradle. If it fits you won't need to do much with the retention system the all-over coverage means there's a lot of helmet in contact with your head and it tends to stay put.

The padding is minimal but comfortable enough and although there's reasonable ventilation while you're moving I find it gets rather hot on long climbs but it soon cools down again. The lack of vents also means some thought is required when attaching lights/cameras etc. The only real negative is that the straps are thin and weedy and there are no under-ear adjusters. Otherwise if it fits it's a bargain IIRC they are £45 on UK Bike Store.
  • clamps81
    clamps81 Posts: 315
    Got one recently. Venting isn't as good as on my specialized vice, but level of protection is really good and it's super comfortable. Like the range of sizes as well - I've got a teeny head and the small firts a treat.
    Nukeproof Mega AM

Tomac Snyper - Now sadly in pieces
  • Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    Just spotted that they have 30% off Giro helmets at Cycle Surgery.
    Feature is listed at £39.99.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Doesn't look particularly well ventilated.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • p44cmb
    p44cmb Posts: 124
    Got one a few weeks back from Dotbike to replace a Giro Hex. £40 delivered the very next day.

Very impressed with the comfort and the fact that it doesn't give you the "mushroom" look. With less vents than the Hex it is obviously a bit warmer to wear but even thrashing round the local trails in 22 degree heat the other day it wasn't unbearable.

My only slight gripe is that the sizing on a medium is just a Gnats nadger too big on the tightest adjustment setting whereas on the same sized Hex it was spot on in the middle of the adjustment range. This is fine for me for everyday riding but I notice a bit of wobble when I have either my GoPro or head torch mounted to it. To combat this though I just crank up the chin strap a bit more.
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    Just spotted that they have 30% off Giro helmets at Cycle Surgery.
    Feature is listed at £39.99.

Cheers for all the input the vents are minimal and i do like a long ride and the occasional hill so i think il give it a miss might have to go for the giro hex guys thanks again
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • p44cmb
    p44cmb Posts: 124
    Before you go and shell out on a Hex it may be worth mentioning that the reason I bought the Feature was because the Hex rocloc 5 retention system broke. The plastic casing near the adjustment dial that holds it all together snapped while doing it up one day. Wasn't particularly doing anything that I hadn't always done or treating it roughly it just snapped. After a quick google about I did find others with similar problems but they all seemed to happen within the warranty period and got them swapped.

interestingly enough mine was 18months old and therefore out of the 12 month warranty period but I contacted On-one who I bought it from originally and sent it off to them to look at. They called me the day after receiving it and gave me a credit back to my account. For a retailer to fully refund an out of warranty product makes me think that there may be a bit of a known issue.....either that or it's just good old fashioned bl00dy great customer service.
  • I got a Feature a couple of months ago, I was torn between this and the Xar. The medium Xar was a slightly better fit (more oval compared to the slightly rounder shape of the feature) but the coverage was not much more than xc and quite pricy too. Tried the Xen too but looked weird, sitting too much at the top of the head. Went for the Feature in white, as I liked the style & price better and hoped the colour would make the mediterranean sun tolerable.

On the ride - As long as you move at a pace it ventilates better than expected. Vents are few, but quite large. On really slow climbs it's certainly hotter than a proper xc helmet but not so much that I can't handle it. Today's ride was a good test for this as I went riding at 13:00 and it was sunny with a pretty high temp for May. The long visor is great.

It's also surprisingly light, I bet many xc lids are actually heavier. Also tried it with googles on. Too hot for this right now, but maybe a good idea for the winter. Overall very happy with my purchase. Personally this is what I feel a mtb helmet should be like instead of a road helmet with a visor and splashy graffics.
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    Fox flux might suit? Had one for ages - good venting, comfy, but good protection too...
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mobile/MobileModels.aspx?ModelID=96105