Really wide wheels

danlightbulb
danlightbulb Posts: 701
edited May 2013 in MTB general
Good evening all.

Whilst out on the trails last few weeks I have started to see bikes with really wide wheels more and more often. They are like 4" wide if not more, almost like motorbike wheels. The bikes carrying these wheels are rigid's if I recall correctly.

Whats the deal with these? Just curious.

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Fat bikes.

just like 29ers
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • danlightbulb
    danlightbulb Posts: 701
    Aah thanks - didn't know what they were called. Just looked at the On One Fatty. Over 15kg and single chainring. Must be difficult on the climbs.

In what way are they like 29ers?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Too cool for school.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just like 29ers (or 650B) they are the latest fad....I know a few people who ride fats, with that much tyre, no need for suspension, tyres are run at about 8psi, float well over mud.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    edited May 2013
    They were developed for riding on snow, in events like the Iditabike, but have developed quite a niche following.

Not sure you can really compare to 29er which have rather a larger foothold on the industry.

There are some mental ones out there - Santa Cruz did a V10 carbon fat bike!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    nicklouse wrote:
    Fat bikes.

just like 29ers
    :lol: