Changing the angle of the bars?

4AssedMonkey
4AssedMonkey Posts: 18
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Hi Gang,

I'm about 7 rides/300 miles into my new Defy 2 and absolutely love the thing. After getting to know it as the shop set it up for me, I'm starting to think about set up tweaks.

The first thing is the bars. I'm OK on the flats/hoods but can't seem to get a comfortable grip when on the drops as I'm struggling to tuck low enough so that my forearm is about horizontal. As a result, I'm having to angle my wrists upwards a bit.

My first though was to rotate the bars downward slightly towards the front wheel, so that the bars/levers are presented at a better angle for me. Before I try this, is there any reason I shouldn't or any better fixes that people know of?

Comments

• elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    I did rotate the bars thing and it worked fine for me.Wasn,t much but enough to improve the ride.Only problem can be a change in the hoods position so a balance is needed.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    I'd encourage you to measure where things are now, and then tweak away each time you go out. You'll soon find what works better for you, and if it doesn't, then you have your original reference point to go back to. Everyone is different so feel free to tweak your settings.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Also realise there are different shapes to the drops depending on model and brand, so it could be you just won't get on with the curve of the new bars.