cube frame and fork advice

taffygriffiths
taffygriffiths Posts: 186
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys.

I currently have a 2011 cube Ltd comp.

i have been using the bike a bit more recently than the sporadic times that it has been used in the last 2 years... im finding that im stretching out and down a lot on the bike, giving me a sore back and i find that im trying to sit up and resting on my fingers.

now.. the bike is a 20" frame. im 6'2" with a 36" inside leg (step length?) measured using a spirit level in the crotch and a tape measure! according to the cube website.. im a 21" frame....

i have a shorter stem, and have moved the saddle forward on the rails.. and it still is a bit painful.

I have also had to extend the standard seat post just beyond the min. insertion line to get the right saddle height.

I have though.... found a cube ltd 2012 22" frame new online for what seems really good money!.

unfortunately... the head tube is 160mm, 20mm bigger than my 140mm, and with little to no stack height available, i dont think my current fork, a rockshox tora TK 100mm would fit.

add into the equation, that im 17 stone, and my current fork is quite soft for me and can struggle

as such, im looking at a new fork... i have found some good deals on 120mm forks.

question is (thanks for bearing with me if you have!) .. firstly.. am i just being a faggot with regards to the stretch? .. would a highrise bar make a difference? what about a fresh shock with a full steerer so i can stack up my stem?

secondly... would putting a 120mm fork on this frame cause problems? i dont do serious lumps and bumps.. paved and unpaved trails and singletrack etc.

thanks for any help guys!

i know its a bit of a long post :shock:

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited May 2013
    You feel too stretched out and want to buy a longer frame?

Also with the same length forks you won't be able to raise the front end any higher either.....

Sort your current bike, longer seatpost (inline mounting perhaps if yours is layback), shorter stem with some more rise seems the way to go, maybe riser bars.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    I'd agree with the Beginner. Try an inline seat post and shorter stem.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • tezboy1234
    tezboy1234 Posts: 132
    As above. Changes to seatpost, stem and bar should sort you out, you just have to find the right ones. Maybe a visit to your nearest bike shop for a proper sizing would be helpful too. I wouldn't get a larger frame, sounds like you need a smaller one if anything.

Pretty sure your bike would have came with a riser bar. If i'm not mistaken, all Cube LTD's came with a riser as standard up untill 2012. For 2013, Cube introduced 29'ers in to the LTD range wich come with flatbars. I have a 2012 Cube LTD and mine has a riser bar.

Cube LTD's are supposed to have more of a comfy, relaxed and more upright seating position when compared to other bikes of a similar type, so for beginners or all dayers it's ideal. With Cube, you don't get that more forward racier position like on say, a Giant XTC (although with this sort of geometry you get a bit more thrill), until you get to the Reaction range. So the fact your sizing seems so far out tells me you need a trip to you nearest bike shop asap! A LTD should be comfy not stretched.
  • taffygriffiths
    taffygriffiths Posts: 186
    edited May 2013
    I see what you mean.

i assumed that the bigger frame would bring the saddle height more inline with the stem and bars.

but i suppose as its longer then it may cancel itself out!

i have shortened the stem, down to a 90mm and moved the saddle forward on the rails. the seatpost is an inline one allready.

i guess i can look into a slightly shorter stem with more of a rise. just worried about it starting to look a bit odd!

this is a picture of my bike from the side. does the saddle look high? it will have to go up another 8mm or so when i put my SPD's back on

photo-2_zps31cd2cdb.jpg

thanks guys! its all food for thought and a way forward!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You are like me - long legs, shorter arms and body.

I'd get a new longer post, and if it still feels stretched, a slighter shorter and higher rise stem.
  • it seems your right!

i always refered to myself as having longer arms, shirts sleeves etc are usually short.

i must be short compared to cyclists!

as i bit of a curveball... ive spent this evening trying to source an extra firm spring cartridge for the Tora TK fork thats on the cube at standard... its like riding with a fork full of custard at the moment.. think cube skimped out and put a soft spring in... not good at 17.5 stone! lol

i seem to have come up short! :(

sooo... saying i decide to splash out on a new fork... obviously it will come with a virgin steerer tube.. it is normal practice to leave that longer than the old one and stack the stem up a bit? that should give me a higher stem and less stretch no?

or am i barking up the wrong tree?

thanks guys!
  • supersonic
    Is a good idea - longer steerer and a few spacers. About 40mm max.
  • righto!

looking around, i have found the Rockshox recon gold RL solo fork for a reasonable £242. these should be plenty for what i need.

but. i can get last years SID RL dual air 120 for £262....

ive looked online regarding the 100-120mm change, and understand the geometry change, which could possibly help? but.. is the extra stress on the frame that significant?

i would obviously like to get the best for my money. and the SID's seem fantastic value for money.. but if its a bad idea, then it will have to stay that and ill stick with a 100mm fork!
  • supersonic
    Get the SIDs - you can always space them down to 100mm with a quick internal spacer change.