help on tyres NEEDED

CUBEical
CUBEical Posts: 211
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
hi there i have recently bruaght a second hand cube with xking continental tyres on the front one is perfect but the back the middle tread seems to be broken at a diagonal off , was wondering what courses this (road riding ? skids ?) and the main question is should i swap the front perfect one with the back or leave it on the front ? hope you understand fully is it better to have good thread on the front or back, failing that i have seen some mountain kings 2 with inner tubes on ebay brand new that i might just replace the lot but untill then i want to know what would be better to put the best tyre on the front or back thanks guys
I am sorry if I talk to much s@#t it goes with the name.............

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Best one on the front.
  • CUBEical
    mcnultycop wrote:
    Best one on the front.
    thanks just what i thought do you know what coursed it ?is it to much road use or was it user miss use ie skids ?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    CAUSED and it's TREAD......

Photo would help, but yes lots of rear wheel lockups can do that....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Rears wear quicker than fronts.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • CUBEical

cant help being dyslexic .... but nvm thanks for advice im not at home at moment but will get a picture up asap as it does not look natural so maybe the previous owner liked to lock back wheel up. while we are on the subject of tyres, shall i get a more suited road bike tyre or would the mountain kings 2 be an ok all rounder i will be on the roads 75% of the time . will it be best to get mountain tyers instead of a new xking?
  • The Rookie
    What sort of offroad?
    Maybe something like a Schwalbe Sammy Slick would suite?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    cooldad wrote:
    Rears wear quicker than fronts.
    +1

Ive noticed this too. The difference in wear is actually quite large. After about 100 miles on brand new slicks, you can see the difference on the surface of the tyre, especially since the Michelins have a mould line straight down the centre of the tyre. That mould line is almost as new on the front tyre and it is now non existent on the rear, and i havent had a single lock up on either tyre yet.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You're putting all your power through the rear and most of your weight is on it too, stands to reason!
  • CUBEical
    njee20 wrote:
    You're putting all your power through the rear and most of your weight is on it too, stands to reason!
    i agree with you on that, if i could just make up my mind on what to do shall i spend £17 on a new xking
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Continental-C ... 43bb693cf8
    for the back ,and use it on the roads 75% of the time the rest trails ,

or should i

spend £30 on a new set of mountain kings 2 and 2 continental inner tubes
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400468370166? ... 1438.l2649

What you wrecon ? would the mountain kings suit more for what ill be doing road 75% xc/off road 25% ????

Thanks guys
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    CUBEical wrote:
    cant help being dyslexic

I notice you spelt that easy enough :)
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • CUBEical
    Giraffoto wrote:
    CUBEical wrote:
    cant help being dyslexic

I notice you spelt that easy enough :)
    well when you grow up and you say that you are people always ask you to spell it you kind of pic it up , i do go threw and correct most of my text on here with spell check but sometimes you do not get them all
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    To be fair what you write is generally spelled right, it's just the wrong words.

Threw = through
    Bellow = below
    courses = causes
    thread = tread

Anyway, we're going (even more) OT.
  • CUBEical
    njee20 wrote:
    To be fair what you write is generally spelled right, it's just the wrong words.

Threw = through
    Bellow = below
    courses = causes
    thread = tread

Anyway, we're going (even more) OT.
    lol i had actually got it right in the beginning . i am dyslexic and have to use the spell checker allot of the time so excuse me if i miss a red line out never my intention but i thought this was a website to seek advice on bikes not grammar never knew the biking community was like being in high school nit picking all the while
  • The Rookie
    The bike help we are here to provide, the extra help we provide as a fringe benefit - it was meant to help, not to insult or otherwise upset you.....

My daughter is dyslexic.
  • CUBEical
    The bike help we are here to provide, the extra help we provide as a fringe benefit - it was meant to help, not to insult or otherwise upset you.....

My daughter is dyslexic.
    lol ok..... fringe benefits are a good thing :roll:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    CUBEical wrote:

cant help being dyslexic .... but nvm thanks for advice im not at home at moment but will get a picture up asap as it does not look natural so maybe the previous owner liked to lock back wheel up. while we are on the subject of tyres, shall i get a more suited road bike tyre or would the mountain kings 2 be an ok all rounder i will be on the roads 75% of the time . will it be best to get mountain tyers instead of a new xking?

Dyslexia is not something to use as an excuse.

just take your time and use a spell checker.

in he world of the written word no one cares who or what you are but they do care how things read.

good headings and clear questions get good results rather than lessons in how to ask a question or how to spell.

and if you are using a device with predictive text turn it off. and re read your posts before pressing send.

as one Dyslexic to an other.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • CUBEical
    nicklouse wrote:
    CUBEical wrote:

Dyslexia is not something to use as an excuse.

just take your time and use a spell checker.

in he world of the written word no one cares who or what you are but they do care how things read.

good headings and clear questions get good results rather than lessons in how to ask a question or how to spell.

and if you are using a device with predictive text turn it off. and re read your posts before pressing send.

as one Dyslexic to an other.

Ok thanks for the advice , will do my best .
  • cooldad
    To be fair to Nick, it's not his dyslexia we have a problem with, it's that bloody northern accent.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    cooldad wrote:
    To be fair to Nick, it's not his dyslexia we have a problem with, it's that bloody northern accent.

Disappointed that you didn't say "it's that he's a pompous arse".
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:

Disappointed that you didn't say "it's that he's a pompous ars*".
    I hope you just missed a smiley there.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Phil63
    Phil63 Posts: 13
    I haven't laughed so much in ages, to think the guy only asked about some tyres. (oh, and before I posted this I read, re-read, re-read and eh, re-read) :D
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    To be fair he's asked a bit everywhere.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cooldad wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Disappointed that you didn't say "it's that he's a pompous ars*".
    I hope you just missed a smiley there.
    right you orrible southerners time to end this topic.

mmm I am now south of most of the forum.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
This discussion has been closed.