Hello newbi here and i have a few a question

TAZ007
TAZ007 Posts: 2
edited May 2013 in MTB beginners
Hello, well i tell you a little about me and what riding i do before i ask my question so you can give me the right info i need, I decided i wanted to get fit and out and about and MTB seem to suit me best, i had a really old raleigh bike given to me, spend a few quid on getting it working proper on the cheap as possible and used it for long enough to know that i was going to stick with this and enjoy it at the same time, so then i got the itch to want a better more up to date bike, not having £250 at the time to spend on a new bike, i got a Voodo Hoodoo frame only of Ebay for £90 and my journey began, i spend as much as i could afford on getting nearly all the same parts as it come with new, its 8 speed not 9 speed but all Shimano Alivio never the less, but when it came to the forks i could not get any 120mm forks for love or money, halford stopped selling the 120mm Suntour Raidon X1 air suspension fork with remote lockout :( so i ended up with a some SR Suntour XCR RL 100 instead, now this bike has cost me more than it would have cost new, but to be fair i have enjoyed doing it and learned a fair bit too, now at the moment i do more roads and cycle paths than of road or mountains, and my question is this, do i really need 120mm forks or will i be ok on the 100mm, i ride with it locked out most of the time, and only unlock it down the hills, although i cant get the 120mm Suntour Raidon X1 air suspension fork with remote lockout, i can get the SR Suntour XCR RL 120 for £82 if i order before thursday, what should i do?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    TL:DR. Put your questions in a way we can answer them.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If it's on and works leave it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    TAZ007 wrote:
    ... what should i do?

You should start using full stops.
    Proper sentences make things much easier to read.

Anyway: the forks. If they work keep them. Why spend more money on a bike that has already cost you more than buying a new one?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    100mm forks are fine for general use... the most important thing you can do is make sure you can get 100mm of movement out of them by checking that they are set up right and ensuring that they are properly serviced when the time comes.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • houston26
    houston26 Posts: 115
    Don't understand why you tried to build it to specifically Halfords spec, you had an empty canvas to build a better bike, much better forks than raidon for the money, even more so if you were gonna buy from Halfords

But if you enjoyed building it and learnt in the process then you will save in labour in the future.

And the 100 and 120 stated of the suntour x forks doesn't always mean that's the travel they have, you could end up buying again and ending up with less travel

However the hoodoo is setup for 120 forks so the bikes geometry is probably out right now, save your money and keep an eye on eBay/classifieds for a better bargain