Friendly/helpful cyclists

Philly8mt
Philly8mt Posts: 552
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
I've read a lot on here about unfriendly cyclists .. So ...

A thumbs up to the cyclists up in the Vale Of Belvoir :D

Took my first proper daylight road ride with a mate there last Thursday and, without exception, everyone waved or said hello.

My second proper ride was today. Within five minutes my mates rear punctured and whilst we were confident we'd crack it a fellow cyclist (mature chap with Willier) came along and helped. Giving helpful hints along the way .. Buy a proper pump & ya tire levers are crap lol. It turns out he was a few minutes late for a club run and was trying to catch em up, which was now all the more unlikely due to stopping.

A second cyclist also stopped to offer help as well.

Thanks guys.

We got going and completed our run with no further dramas thankfully. A cracking day cycling in the sun, certainly whetted our appetite for more :lol:
Still thinking of something clever to say!

Comments

• supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I did a sportive at the weekend, missed a feed station due to getting lost, (most did) , ran out of water after 60 odd miles, a guy who I ended up riding with gave me a top up ( on the move I might add ) as we got back onto the right route. Now that's friendly!
  • Neil_aky
    Neil_aky Posts: 211
    I agree, I ride in the Midlands (Worcestershire / Warwickshire) and I have never met an unfriendly cyclist. In fact I would say they are a more friendly than the general public I meet when walking.

Search on here for recommendations for puncture resistant tyres! Or maybe use punctures as a way to make new cycling friends.

Have fun.
  • Philly8mt
    Neil_aky wrote:
    I agree, I ride in the Midlands (Worcestershire / Warwickshire) and I have never met an unfriendly cyclist. In fact I would say they are a more friendly than the general public I meet when walking.

Search on here for recommendations for puncture resistant tyres! Or maybe use punctures as a way to make new cycling friends.

Have fun.

Thanks Neil

Re the puncture resistance ...
    The one downside to today ...
    As soon as we set off we had a lorry get so close that my mate went "MTB'ing" off road, happened a couple of mins before the puncture was discovered. Otherwise I don't think he would have had an issue.
    Anyway .... At least it's given me my first inner tube repair last night ;)
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Vale of Bevoir is my usual riding territory, good roads and a few inclines, nice area to ride imo, glad to hear someone was helpful for you ....
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    But that's good news so not what we all want to hear... Kindly wait for summat bad to happen for your next post ;-)
  • waterfalll
    waterfalll Posts: 83
    that's awesome!
    Where abouts did your route take you out of curiosity?
    I live in a village in the vale and cycle here all the time :)
  • Philly8mt
    waterfalll wrote:
    that's awesome!
    Where abouts did your route take you out of curiosity?
    I live in a village in the vale and cycle here all the time :)

Well I live in Chesterfield but work for a company based at Langar and my mate lives Leicester way but skydives from Langar airfield ... So we usually set off from the airfield.

Last Thursday it went ...

Langar, Harby, Plungar, Redmile, Sutton, Granby, Barnstone and Back to Langar

This Wednesday we did ...

Langar, Cropwell Bishop, Colston Bassett, Long Clawson, Hose and back to Langar

Next (proper) run ...

Langar, Harby, Hose, down near Scalford, Eastwell, just skip Knipton, Plungar, Redmile, Sutton, Granby, Barnstone and back to Langar.

Please remember we are new to this lol ... So it's not massive mileage yet! :)
  • Came across a few friendly cyclists lately having been plagued with punctures in the last few weeks.

A few weeks back a couple, probably in there 60s stopped to ask if I needed a hand changing a tube whist out on the C2C route, even offered me a spare tube incase I got another which I politely declined.

Then last Friday night I got another flat on the way home from work and a bloke stopped to see if I had everything I needed which was nice as it was 11.30pm
    Planet X XLS 2013
    Planet X London Road 2015
  • Philly8mt
    Came across a few friendly cyclists lately having been plagued with punctures in the last few weeks.

A few weeks back a couple, probably in there 60s stopped to ask if I needed a hand changing a tube whist out on the C2C route, even offered me a spare tube incase I got another which I politely declined.

Then last Friday night I got another flat on the way home from work and a bloke stopped to see if I had everything I needed which was nice as it was 11.30pm

Sort of restores ya faith doesn't it ... :D
  • A KIRK
    A KIRK Posts: 64
    This is something that is nice to read. Probably the sun making people happier.
    2010 GT Series 4 ultegra wheels & brakes
    2008 Claud Butler hard tail not very original any more
  • Bullet1
    Bullet1 Posts: 161
    I went out and managed 62 miles in Cheshire / Peak District on Sunday and must say 95% of the ones whi passed me gave a friendly wave or a hello.

Mention must also go to one of the cycling clubs I past(Red & Black kit but not Man Tri) I passed a dozen or so of them whilst I was climbing Pyms Chair and everyone of them acknowledged me!

Was great to feel part of the roadie community - a hello costs nothing and goes a long way!