Any heating engineers on the forum?

kingofthetailwind
kingofthetailwind Posts: 575
edited May 2013 in The cake stop
My central heating is playing up. I have a fairly old system - standard (not combi) boiler with hot/cold tanks. The problem is the boiler won't switch off. Even if the thermostat is turned right down, and the heating/water is switched to "off" on the programmer, the boiler will stay on and fire every few minutes. It won't actually heat water (unless I have the programmer set to heat it) it will just continually fire, run for 10 seconds or so and then stop. But the power to the boiler will stay on. The programmer and thermostat are new and I don't think they're the problem.

The programmer is beside the hot water tank. When I switch the hot water off and on I can hear the actuator valve clunking, which I presume is it opening and closing - meaning it's OK. But I can't hear anything from the other actuator when I switch the heating off and on, which leads me to the conclusion that the valve for the heating is stuck open?

It's happened a couple of times before but switching the power off to the boiler entirely for a few hours fixed it.

The valve is a Sunvic as pictured. Is it likely that it could be freed by opening it and WD40ing? Or if it needs replaced, is this something an amateur could do?

8717282731_9bfee4d081.jpg

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Ooh I dunno mate you're looking at - ooh - at least 2 hours for a reply :mrgreen:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Ooh I dunno mate you're looking at - ooh - at least 2 hours for a reply :mrgreen:

Precisely the reason I don't wanna call a plumber! (Note to any honest plumbers - no offence intended!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    oooh, tut tut tut...(shakes head and sucks air through teeth), like the man said - thats a megabucks repair that one. You can only get spares from Moldovia for one of them and there's a strike there in the factory that makes those wotsits thats lasted years.
    We'll have to raplace the whole system. Shouldn't take more than a couple of months and you'll be right as rain. Personally, I wouldn't have gone for one of them - nah, the bloke who fitted it must be a complete amateur. My missus said to me "you know luvvy, that new combi system you bought works a mirtacle it does". She knows what she's talking about - I taught her. Listen gov'na, I'll do you a special deal for under eighteen grand but thats cos I got a kind heart and I don't like ripping people off. We can start work straight away - beginning of September good for ya? Even though i'm really busy at the minit. Yeah my mate Ralphy (and he's been fitting combi's for donkeys), reckons...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Katz
    Katz Posts: 25
    Do you have a frost protection thermostat on the system. Check that first as they override anything else.