Trek 1.5 Tyres

Oliver T
Oliver T Posts: 22
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Hey everybody,

Just recently bought myself a Trek 1.5 Alpha, and I was wondering whether you guys think I'd be able to fit some Schwalbe Marathon Plus (700 x 28mm) tyres on it.

Many thanks,

Oliver T.

Comments

• Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    What size does it have currently?
  • Oliver T
    It currently has 23mm tyres on it.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    28mm is nearly the maximum size you can safely fit on a regular 20mm road rim as the bead might not seat in the rim properly - also check that you have enough clearance under the brakes. When fitting the tyres, make sure you have the bead seated all around before inflating as larger volume tyres can slip off the rim more easily.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    You might be safer off with a 25, I've just bought a Trek with 25's and they feel quite different to my old 23s. It depends what you want to use it for really
  • Oliver T
    I wanted it to fit the Marathon Plus tyres so that I could quit :lol: e happily ride down trails etc. Which is something that I have to do quite often. I would get 25mm but I heard that 28mm would be much better for that purpose.
  • Did you get 28mm tyres?
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    I've got a 2011 1.5. Currently running 25mm tyres on it. I'd say there's plenty of clearance for 28mm tyres, but as others have said you may want to get some wider rims.

Even with 20mm rims and 25mm tyres the quick release break lever doesn't always usually allow clearance to pop the wheel out. With 28mm tyres you'd have to be winding the caliper adjuster a lot just to get wheels out.

Archetypes + 28mm tyres = I'd subscribe to that on my commuter :)
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Taking a road bike down trails is normally a bad idea as they are designed to be lighter weight and so go on roads. Cyclocross bikes are stronger built and better suited to trails. Does depend how rough the trails are, how fast you go and how much you weight.