New Arrival: Giant Defy 0

Crawlinguphills
Crawlinguphills Posts: 95
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Having picked up my new Giant Defy 0 last week, I thought I would give a brief review on my thoughts so far. This is because A) I have run out of people to talk to abouty my new bike, and my girlfriend will 'take a machete to it' (actual quote) if I so much as whisper 'Giant' again. B) When I was looking for reviews there werent a huge amount, I could only find two online, which made me very nervous about buying it.

The reason for the bike. I was riding a Felt F85 which had quite aggressive geometry, I have no intention of racing, and by the time I got to about 40-50 miles in sportives my hands were numb and I could feel every pimple of the road. Therefore I decided I needed a more 'relaxed' bike for my needs.

The Price: £1199. This seems reasonable, it is at the top end of Giants alu range and has an Ultegra groupset.
The Size: M/L. I spent the entire journey home with the bike on the tube thinking 'Thats too small, thats got to be too small' even though I had a bike fit. However, its not, its perfect, I think I am just used to looking at a longer headtube.
The Ride: This is where it becomes like night and day. The Felt had carbon forks, but not carbon seatpost, and in comparison its like sitting on a fluffy cloud. So smooth. The position also suits me much more, and I feel in control of the bike in a way I havent previously. I am obviously more upright, but everything about it is more comfortable. I expected to be a fair bit slower, but weirdly, everything is faster. The Felt had microshift on it, and a cobbled together part 105 groupset, the Ultegra set up is like a ferrari in comparison, so changing is smoother and faster. I am a big lad, so was rubbish at descending as I didnt have confidence in the brakes on the Felt. The first downhill I came to with the Giant, I nearly went over my handle bars as I grabbed my usual handful and came to a dead stop. This means I am descending faster as I know the brakes can handle me in all my bulky glory. Climbing could also actually become a pleasure on this bike, it is so so light and responsive, it really responds to power being put down and accelerates like Usain Bolt going after some chicken nuggets. I took a couple of minutes off my normal 20 mile after work loop, and I think that will drop a fair bit further.

There is definately alot to be said for new bike confidence, but I think this is down to finding a bike with the perfect set-up for you. With the Felt I listened to my father in law and girlfriend, and the 'Its just a new position, you'll get used to it' argument. You wont. If it is uncomfortable, its always going to be uncomfortable for you. Road bikes put you in an odd position, but that shouldnt mean you are thinking for 50 miles 'this hurts'. This bike has re-kindled my love for cycling, and I have been out on it as much as is possible, the feeling of knowing I can ride the bike and its not going to hurt until it should (hills) is like a revelation.

You will also hear a great deal about Giants, Treks, Specialized, Cannondales etc being 'common'. Whatever you do dont let this sway you. Find the bike that suits you, your style, and don't give a damn what the brand is, or if you are going to see 6 on every street corner, or that its rarer than the dodo. I was swayed by the bike snobs around me and ended up with something that wasnt right for me. You don't ride for anyone else, so don't pick a bike for anyone else.

Comments

• ianwilliams
    ianwilliams Posts: 257
    Thanks for this! You don't see much information on the Defy 0 so this was helpful.

Any idea on approximate weight?
  • AllanES
    AllanES Posts: 151
    Great review and the new bike excitement really comes across!
    Red Triban 3
    Giant Defy 1
  • Thanks for this! You don't see much information on the Defy 0 so this was helpful.

Any idea on approximate weight?

Not totally sure, but one of the lightest alu frames i have come across, without the wheels on you could juggle with the thing.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    edited May 2013
    Mine, (exact same bike in M/L) is 9.5kg.

Well done Crawlinguphills on your purchase. After 1200 miles on mine since Feb I can concur it's a great bike! Kept up with a guy on a £10k Colnago C59 today which pleased me greatly. Fast, fun and comfortable is how I would sum up the ride.

Unfortunately you don't get a full Ultegra groupset, only rear mech and shifters. 105 front mech and non-series brakes but the sum of the parts is still very good. I doubt full Ultegra would make it any faster tbh.

Wheels will be my first upgrade though.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    How about some photos of it??? would love to see it.
  • Ordered my Defy 0 (2014) today can't wait to try it out when this awful weather improves, Giant have also upgraded the 2014 to nearly full a Ultegra apart from crankset which is a FSA Pro. I just found that the bikes was perfect for me (XL) being 6'5" tried Cube Peloton Race and Cannondale Synapse 105 but the Giant just felt right. Also managed to get LBS to give a 15% discount on the £1199 RRP. Think the wheels will be the only upgrade come the summer and keep the stock wheels for winter
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    The Defy 0 2014 is group tested in Cycling Plus magazine issue 284 February 2014, out now. Medium frame is 8.8kg. Cassette, chain, derailleurs and brake levers/shifters are Ultegra 6800, chainset is FSA Gossamer Pro 50/34T. Brake calipers are Shimano non-series BR561, the rest is Giant own brand finishing components.