What are your commuting essentials ?

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited May 2013 in Commuting general
This is my list of my top 5 commuting essentials, Other lists may differ but this one is mine :)

In no particular order:

1. Helmet - I have no specific morale stance on the whole making it legal row, personally I wear one because even if it protects my bonce just once from a fall then I feel its worth the £30 it cost me, also I find it helps keep my head warm in winter. I have had a few knocks from unavoidable low branches in the past and the helmet deflected them nicely.

2. Saddle Bag - Got a decent clip on medium size saddle bag for £6 and its so handy, I can stick in some essential parts plus my house keys, phone, wallet and even a ham roll (squashed down a bit mind you )

3. Puncture tools - Specifically 2 spare tubes, plastic levers and a multi tool. I don't bother with the patch kits as more often than not they don't hold and are a real pain in the neck when its 6pm and your cold and just want to get home. I also keep a cheap LED light set in there too and a small roll of electrical tape and a clip on hand pump.

4. Gloves / Socks / Head Tube - I always wear gloves (thick for winter / mitts for summer) they cushion your palms and keep your fingers working enough to react quickly when needed. I also am a massive fan of those stretchy tube things that can be worn as a balaclava or neck warmer, they are so versatile and you can pick up a set of three from Amazon. SealSkinz water proof socks also brilliant,

5. Correct bike / SPD's / Setup - Obviously you can commute on any bike but having tried various types I find that a steel drop bar road bike is ideal - Fast and comfy, Also as drops are usually narrower than flat bars you can negotiate traffic easier and there is less chance of someone clipping you and putting you on the deck. I also am a massive fan of clip in pedals - so much more effecient than regular trainers. I would never go back to toe straps after switching to SPD's

Its worth noting that regardless of bike type I think its crucial to get the setup right, Make sure the saddle height is good - A general rule is you should be able to get the ball of your foot on the floor when seated and have a slight bend in the knee when the pedal is at the lowest point. Also tyres should be inflated properly, I usually go for about 90% of max pressure so there is some give to be comfy but still hard enough to avoid pinch punctures. I am always suprised when I see people cycling along with there knee's bent out like Charlie Chaplin and the tyres as flat as pancakes ! No wonder they are always panting for breath.

Also I think tyre choice is worth a mention, on a road bike I find that 28c slicks with decent puncture protection (think Gatorskin, Marathon etc) are good all rounders and 1.5" slicks on MTB's.

On the subject of mudguards I like em but I don't use them, mostly because the clearence between my brakes and choice of tyre (28c) excludes most of the 'normal' guards and crud racer 2's tend to rub and make a really annoying noise! Also I have a change of clothes and dry room at work, add to the fact that on average there is a 97% chance that you won't get hit with rain on the commute in the UK (https://www.carbongenie.com/FactsnStats/) then I find that they are not required. A bit of rain never hurts anyway just makes you want to get home quicker!

Anyone else have a list ?

Cheers

Comments

• Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    1. Backpack containing:
    Multitool
    2x spare inner tubes
    Tyre levers
    Packable waterproof jacket
    Cycle glasses
    Emergency chocolate/haribo
    Front light (in case I work late - rear light is permanently attached)

2. Waterbottle
    3. Helmet
    4. Bike lock (Hiplock - so I wear it, rather than stick it in the bag.)
    Everything else, change of clothes, shower kit etc, is in my locker at work.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Gloves are optional for riding but essential for crashing.
    1x inner tube and 1x patch kit but I keep extra spare inner/cables at work.
    Mini Leatherman tool with pliers, useful for pulling bits of steel wire out of tyres.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    other than bike it's self? gloves i find is the one thing I always take.

This time of year I mostly don't need lights, nor do I always need a bag, nor bike locks.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I like to carry a bit of cheese for bartering with.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    rubertoe wrote:
    What type of cheese?
    If it's a bog-standard cheddar or red leicester, I would ride past you.
    But if it was a Comte or aged stilton, I might let you catch a lift on my stunt pegs. :wink:
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    edited May 2013
    Spare tube and repair kit. Needed this morning!! Thankful that the rear tyre only deflated when I arrived at work, and I noticed it while parking up. Nowt worse than seeing the offending flat at 5pm when it's time to go home.

One question, where to buy these surgical gloves? - my fingers are oily and the Fairy liquid isn't working?
  • combatsapph
    combatsapph Posts: 23
    Front motor and a big battery ;-)
  • lee337
    lee337 Posts: 17
    "add to the fact that on average there is a 97% chance that you won't get hit with rain on the commute in the UK"

That can't be based on stats from last year.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe wrote:
    What type of cheese?
    If it's a bog-standard cheddar or red leicester, I would ride past you.
    But if it was a Comte or aged stilton, I might let you catch a lift on my stunt pegs. :wink:

A nice ripe brie i find works best.

:)
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• dee4life2005
    dee4life2005 Posts: 773
    I got some nitrile gloves from here, at £8.95
    http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/accessori ... d_424.html

seem very similar to the ones Wiggle sell for £26.95
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tools-box- ... cs-gloves/
  • rubertoe

This is actually a really good idea, one of my in-laws works in a chemist so i get bulk boxes of gloves, and i always carry a pair with me in the saddle bag.

• TheBiggles
    TheBiggles Posts: 33
    Petrol station seems easier and cheaper as a source of gloves.
  • 1. BIKE+LIGHTS IF NEEDED
    2. WATER BOTTLE
    3. GLASSES
    4. HELMET
    5. SPARE TUBE/MINI PUMP/TOOLS IN SMALL SADDLE BAG
  • jamm13dodger
    jamm13dodger Posts: 106
    1. Repair kit - pump, puncture kit, etc.
    2. Mobile phone in case of emergency.
    3. Hat/headband to cover my ears. Cant stand cold ears :?
    4. Helmet
    5. Snack - usually a flapjack or similar.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    rubertoe wrote:

This is actually a really good idea, one of my in-laws works in a chemist so i get bulk boxes of gloves, and i always carry a pair with me in the saddle bag.

I get them from eBay for about £6. Keep a box in the garage and a couple in my saddle bag.

Generally I always a spare tube, pump, three tyre levers, co2 pump, two co2 canister, multi tool. Everything else is dependent on the weather. Pump is attached to the frame, everything else is in a saddlebag.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Step_7
    Step_7 Posts: 38
    Hmm... Essentials, good lights - most of my commute is on unlit country roads, struggled with crap lights for a while and kept getting pinch flats on the potholes I didn't see coming. Leads nicely onto tubes, levers and pump - I carry 2 tubes now, flatted on the way to work, rushed to change it and didn't pump it up properly and then got a second on the way home that night... Yes, it was raining and it took forever to patch the tube so just always carry a second now. Also keep an old track pump at work... so handy!
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    1. Helmet
    2. Sunglasses - keeps the wind/rain/insects out of your eyes. I also find that wearing sunglasses in the rain gives you an view similar to the view a driver gets through the windscreen - helps you know how visible you are/aren't.
    3. Puncture repair kit, tyre levers, and small pump in the bottom of my backpack.
    4. Lights, just in case the weather turns and it gets dark.

I think I might get myself a small saddle bag to keep the puncture kit in (although my current pump wouldn't fit in it).
  • Cupras
    Cupras Posts: 145
    1. Bike.
    2. Helmet.
    3. SPD's (The single best thing I have purchased for a bike ever).
    4. Under seat bag. containing. Innertube, Tyre levers, Mutli tool x 2 (1 pliers 1 allen keys chain removal tool ect), Pump, Money (sometimes shit just happens) and my bike bag has a little net to leave it in.
    5. Cycling shorts and Jersey (mainly the shorts but the jersey helps too). Also my Jersey holds my mobile phone in its back pocket and is pretty cool to keep the crack warm.
    6. Gloves.
    7. Glasses (sunglasses atm from the £1 shop but I am currently looking for some decent ones to replace them with but they were purchased as I was sick of the fly's so they are working for now)
    8, Water Bottles x2.
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    Apart from bike, clothes that I am wearing (seems a bit obvious) and keys/phone/wallet:

Leyzene Mini HP pump
    Plastic tyre levers
    Spare tube

Everything goes in my cycle jersey pockets as per The Rules. Please see numbers 29-31:
    http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

I don't need to lock my bike and I have spare clothes at work. If I have to carry a laptop or somesuch then I wear a rucksack :oops:
  • BUR70N
    BUR70N Posts: 182
    Depending on the time of year the list would vary, but 100% of the time I carry.

Backpack - Shirt for work, mini pump and anything else I might need or buy during the day.
    Gloves
    Shorts
    Pac away jacket
    Jersey

If colder then would be

Leggings
    Fleece Jersey
    Warm gloves
    Undershorts
    Water proof socks

Lights front and rear depending on the time of year.

Just purchased some glasses with different lenses, but will also purchase a cycle cap as that also helps to keep the rain and snow out of your eyes.