Foot Pain ?

chris_jip
chris_jip Posts: 15
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Completed my biggest ride to date yesterday. Cycled from Sheffield to Skegness and back the next day. Approx 170m, brill weather, with good friends and was having a brill time until about 40m from home on return leg..... I developed the most horrendous pain in my left foot just under my little toes which I can only compare to cramp. I tried to cycle through it but it continued to get worse. I stopped a few times removed shoe and stretched my toes which appeared to do the trick but the pain quickly returned. I tried loosening my straps and putting less weight on that foot but nothing helped. Really put a downer on what was a great ride.
I have a high arch to my foot and was looking at investing in some footbeds to try and help spread the weight out. Does/Has anyone had a similar problem and have footbeds helped ?

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I also have high arches and do have footbeds - and it helps.

I have quite wide feet, with a high arch and a prominent achilles heel - shoe fit can be a real pain. I have suffered very bad cramp attacks in my feet when riding hard/far.

Somewhere in the combination of buying a decent pair of shoes (Sidi Dragon 2), having a bike fit, part of which included fitting black Superfeet footbeds with some shimming to flatten out my feet, the problem has become less of a problem. I also to wear Defeet socks - seem to help as well!

I won't say it's gone away completely - but it's very rare to suffer the problem. I do still get it occasionally when riding a different bike with different shoes - hopefully pointing to the fact that the setup on the audax bike is correct.

I do make sure I remove my shoes at each stop and stretch and rub my feet etc. - I find having them stuffed into stiff shoes for hours on end really brings the problem on more.

My solution was expensive - but clearly on long-distance rides, comfort is everything - so I am pleased.

What sort of shoes are you wearing currently?

Definitely look at the options for footbeds. You could go to a specialized store and get measured up for their footbeds? Most decent bike shops will be able to advise.

Hope you get it sorted as I know the level of pain you were in!
  • limoneboy
    limoneboy Posts: 480
    After 4 years of foot pain and bonts/northwave etc etc shoes , specialized expert 2013 model shoes sorted it for me.they fit like a glove and are wide at the toes , its like wearing slippers. :D

toe crushing was my problem as i have wide ish feet.
    last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1