Helmet for a Long Narrow Head

binkybike
binkybike Posts: 104
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi, I hope someone can help me.

I have a seemingly very long, narrow head, has EVERY helmet I have tried does not fit. they all have the same problem ... in order to get the helmet on securely I have to do it up so tightly that i have pain on my forehead while i can still stick my fingers in between the helmet and the sides of my head, so basically the helmet only contacts my head at the back and the front and can pivot on these points so it is almost always wonky.

I have tried all the helmets i can find, Specialized, Kask, Giro, Rudy Project, mavic ... i went to a couple of shops over the weekend and tried on every large helmet (i am 61cm around) and not one even came close to fitting (the specialized was the least uncomfortable)...

Does anyone have a similar problem and which helmet did actually fit in the end?

Comments

• TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • binkybike
    thanks for the advice, but it's not exactly lightweight...

Obviously no-one has the same problem as me, so does anyone have some recommendations for shops in London that have a good range of helmets, central or south would be ideal, I have done all the shops in the Balham area.

this is doing my head in. Literally!
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    If you head for Spitalfields (Liverpool Street), you have an Evans, and Cycle Surgery and Swifts all within a few mins of each other.

I've got an old Bell which seems good for large oval heads. I've found the best that fit me (61cm oval) are Bell, Specialized (though I'm not too fond of the design of either) Kask Mojito or Vertigo (not k50,k10), Met and Laser.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I ahve similar size and shaped head - Specialized align or echelon I find fits fine for me.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Kask Mojito.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • binkybike
    thanks for the responses. i haven't tried a Bell (apart from their cheap models) or a Met or Laser, i'll see what they are like.

My current helmet is a Specialized Echelon, which only fits if I detach the internal fitting band from the front of the rigid part of the helmet. not ideal or that safe probably. although it is the least uncomfortable helmet I have found so far ... although not after about 2 hours

Kask are NOT for narrow long heads, the Mojito is probably the most uncomfortable helmet I have ever put on
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    My head is narrow and long. Mojito is the most comfortable helmet I've tried (K50 is fine too just too large a profile). Specialized hurts like hell as it's too tight front to back and wobbles from side to side.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Helmet for long narrow head you say????

337-alien.jpg
  • ricky1980
    ricky1980 Posts: 891
    binkybike wrote:
    I have a seemingly very long, narrow head

wwf-ad-fish-head.jpg

are you him?
    Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
    Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg
  • binkybike
    ricky1980 wrote:
    binkybike wrote:
    I have a seemingly very long, narrow head

wwf-ad-fish-head.jpg

are you him?

Yes.
  • buffoon
    buffoon Posts: 49
    I am a freak like you. Although my head circumference is also ~61cm, I find I need a helmet of at least 63cm to fit, due to a very long head I guess. I have often read helmet reccomendations on these forums for massive headed-freaks, and when I have tried the helmet in a shop it proves far too small.

Anyway, the only ones I have found that fit are the Bell XLV and the Specialized MAX (the Bell is slightly bigger). The BELL is available from Halfords for ~£35. Apparently ABUS (the lock maker) make a massive helmet too. I am also on the lookout for a trail/skate-style helmet that fits, but no success so far.

Good luck. Many years ago I had the same problem with motorcycle helmets. I remember once going into a shop and literally trying on every helmet in the shop, most of which never got past my forehead. Without any humor, the bike shop owner suggested "You might want to think about buying a small car". Ultimately I found an ARAI helmet that fitted.
  • simple solution:
    just don't wear one - if you'd ridden regularly before the early 90s hardly anyone wore helmets and they're not all dead :wink:
  • buffoon
    Post by oldmuthariley » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:18 pm
    simple solution:
    just don't wear one - if you'd ridden regularly before the early 90s hardly anyone wore helmets and they're not all dead :wink:

Great point! And it saves money too!
    Why didn't you post this suggestion ages ago? - would have saved us all a lot of hassle looking around for helmets and sending pointless messages...
  • buffoon wrote:
    Post by oldmuthariley » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:18 pm
    simple solution:

Great point! And it saves money too!
    Why didn't you post this suggestion ages ago? - would have saved us all a lot of hassle looking around for helmets and sending pointless messages...

do i detect a bit of sacarsm from a buffoon? :roll:
    what will your 3rd post be i wonder?
  • buffoon
    This is a very useful repository of massive helmets:

http://www.helmets.org/bighead.htm
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Giro helmets.

I need a helmet to fit my 63cm head, but I have a long narrow head. The only helmets that fit well are Giro, I currently have the Ionos and it fits prefectly. My brother has a 63cm head but finds the Kask helmets fit him better as they're more rounded, but they don't fit me at all. The retention system on Kask helmets sits quite low, so that does help with an oval head, but I find Giro are more oval and therefore better suited to such shaped sweeds.

Bell helmets come in large sizes, but aren't particularly oval. Whilst they will fit front to back, I find that the fit across my head isn't very good.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved