Bike transporting

mickmac1233
mickmac1233 Posts: 4
edited May 2013 in Road general
Just bought first full carbon road bike. Kuota kharma evo with ultegra group set. Just wondering if my old roof carrier will still be suitable to carry a carbon frame. It sits on rails and a supporting arm fastens to the main frame of the bike.

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Generally can see no reason why it would not, if its designed to carry a bike then whether the bike is steel, alu, carbon or bamboo is largely irrelevant.

If you post up the make/model of your roof rack am sure that fellow BR members might be owners of the same and can comment further for you.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • ronnierocket
    ronnierocket Posts: 172
    I have a Thule 591 prorider and my bike shop would not let me use it to take a carbon bike away for a test ride. I have subsequently bought at 561 which you remove the front wheel and put in the forks. There are a few discussions about it and personally think I would be ok in the the 591 but have always been too scared to it! Plenty of other people do it, some people think there is a risk of crushing the frame. The 561 is ok but the wheel lying about it and it's a pain for my older bikes (old mountain bike) which is a pain to take the front wheel off.
  • ellotreacle
    ellotreacle Posts: 76
    Recently in the same boat, had thule 591 and transported my alu bike with no probs, bought a carbon bike and after a lot of research and chatting to manufactures I was advised to transport the bike in the car or behind, so got a tow bar fitted and now transport the bike on the back, as I didn't want to take the risk. Many have done it with no problems, but many have done it and cracked the frame or forks.

Have a read of this post, views from both sides for you to read and then you'll have to decide what you thinks best.
    viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12912778