Saracen Ariel 142

andylit
andylit Posts: 14
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, this is my first post so go easy :)

looking at getting a new bike, have found s saracen Ariel for £1695 delivered. link to bike below:

http://www.saracen.co.uk/bikes/2012/all ... /ariel-142

opinions on this bike and any other options for around £1700 would be great

cheers Andy

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I like the ariels. A little portly, but stable and good geometry. FOr the money thats a good deal you'd be hard to beat. If its with UKbikedepot be aware their stock control is terrible, and might not be in stock at all. Good guys otherwise though!
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Its a nice bike, its biased towards descending so is a lot of fun going downhill but can still be coached up hill too. Good price for that spec level too.
  • rossi1981
    rossi1981 Posts: 56
    Looks nice. Might get one myself. Anyone else got any views or reviews on this bike?
  • andylit
    anyone?

other options that are similar would be good
  • jairaj
    For what ever reason its not a very popular bike. Think I've only seen two out on the trails. Both ridden by people who had an affiliation with Madison (the distributors for Saracen bikes).

Its a great bike but have a word with your LBS or Madison and see if you can arrange a demo and make your own mind up.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think it is rather expensive still, for what you get. OK, compared to frame only deals it is good, but the Float RL is not too hot in the 140mm version, and a lot of have own brand kit, not to mention a lot of Deore.

I'd take a look at this:

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes ... ab-reiter2

The fork at least gets some compression damping control, and rthe components are better elsewhere too. Plus costs less.
  • andylit
    thanks Supersonic, any other options or recommendations of bike shops i should look at?
  • supersonic
    What type of terrain will you be riding? the Aerial is quite a 'lot' of bike.
  • andylit
    woodland trails in devon and cornwall. i'm after something that will climb but also help my going down the hill progress too.
  • jairaj
    I don't think the Ariel is for you then, its aimed more at aggressive riders. As I said in my first post its biased towards descending. Sounds like you are looking for something with equal bias. Think of it more as a DH bike with 140mm of travel.
  • supersonic
    I agree, I'd look for something lighter going on that. A standard Canyon nerve, or a Giant trance maybe.
  • jairaj
    Or a Trek Fuel EX