Left arm problem

mickcee
mickcee Posts: 46
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
New round here, first Road Bike in Febuary but because of weather and time i have only just really got started. did my first 35 mile ride on Saturday Am in my training for a 70 mile ride i am doing in August.

Anyway I haven't had any sort of fitting other then a quick chat with the bike shop and various books and information on the internet. I think I have my feet in the correct position on my clip-less pedals and my seat height correct but the problem I have is my left arm feels like its been pulled out my socket when i get some decent miles in.

Another more experienced rider has pointed out that my seat may need to come forward as possibly over stretching and my left arm might be slightly smaller?

Worried that this will then make how comfertable i am everywhere else change. anyone else had any problems with arm/shoulder pain?

Comments

• g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    With a bike fit - your saddle position compared to the pedals is the first and most important one to get right. If your saddle is too far back, you'll loose power and risk over-extending your knees and risk hamstring damage. Too far forward and you'll pitch yourself too far forward and suffer with arm and hand pain.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I got a frozen shoulder for weeks when I first started and now have A frozen wrist because I am spending more time on the drops... Do you guys think that it's something I could avoid if my bike was set up better or is it something I just have to put up with till it gets better as my body adapts and is down to my age?
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Could be a shoulder impingement injury. Get a check up done with your doctor who should send you at least for an X-ray. I had it in the left shoulder, had some of the bone removed, frozen shoulder afterwards, but then reasonably ok for a few months. Now unfortunately it's back and the to cap it all the other shoulder has it too.

http://www.ouh.nhs.uk/shoulderandelbow/ ... endix5.pdf

85853DS.jpg
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    It's certainly worth looking into.
  • mickcee
    Well i wasn't expecting this when i posted haha!

Was rather hoping for a quick fix, will see how it goes as I am new and havnt covered a great deal of miles and still getting used to my bike more then anything
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    If you were over reaching, surely both shoulders and your neck would be aching although is it possible you're riding with your arms locked out instead of a slight bend at the elbow? To test for an impingement, raise your straightened arm out to the side, palm down as high as you can go, does it cause pain or ache? If so get it checked. The pain is the tendon being squeezed by the bone growth and gradually torn. If there's no discomfort, then you just need to relax more.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • mickcee
    Cheers Phithy3, no pain as week has gone on and no pain when did that. Off out today so will try be a little more relaxed. Certainly improved my relaxation of my feet once i went clipless