best kneepads for chicken legs

j_watson
j_watson Posts: 27
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
im 6' tall, 13 stone but have spindly chicken legs & cant find any pads to fit comfortably!! tried fox launch pro's but they cut into the big tendon behind my knee when bending my leg, bought some knox long knee guards (large as i couldnt get my foot through the smalls!) which were comfy but fell down when pedalling!! dont mind spending a bit more if i have to get some to fit ie 661 evo's or scott grenades. cheers!!
VeeDubYA!

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Depends, are you riding XC or downhill? G-form pads look pretty good on paper and might fit you better than most.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    if you've still got the fox's, it might be worth sticking with them for a while. mine were a little on the tight side and dug in for the first few rides but have now become very comfy now they've strecthed a little
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    sofaboy73 wrote:
    if you've still got the fox's, it might be worth sticking with them for a while. mine were a little on the tight side and dug in for the first few rides but have now become very comfy now they've strecthed a little

+1, most knee pads will fit better after you've worn them in a bit.
  • j_watson
    Thanks guys. What are g form pads? A brand or type? I ave begun to think I am being a little hasty. Got my eye on some troy lee shock doctors that I've read good things about. Need to shift these Knox!!!
    VeeDubYA!
  • Polf
    Polf Posts: 64
    I have the same problem. all my weight up top with skinny ass legs. I tried all sorts with different sizes. 661 are always too big, go down a size and they are too tight. Tried race face, and borrowed two or three different makes from mates. All of them moved and slipped when pedalling. I found the solution in buying combined knee/shin pads. The attached shin pads hold the knees in place. It May be too cumbersome for some, but if you get the right ones, you forget you are wearing them. I brought the Nukeproof critical armour pads. I've worn them on all day epics for hours on end and have forgotten that they are there. It May be too much fior some, but it is better than no protection at all or protection that doesnt work through ill fitting.
    Yeti SB95
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275
    On One 456C

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, does not try it on"
  • j_watson
    cheers polf. ive ordered some tld shock dr knee/shin pads. the 5450 or whatever they are. will let you know how i get on!!! gisburn on sat should be a good test! if they fit this time!!!
    VeeDubYA!
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Polf wrote:
    I have the same problem. all my weight up top with skinny ass legs. I tried all sorts with different sizes. 661 are always too big, go down a size and they are too tight. Tried race face, and borrowed two or three different makes from mates. All of them moved and slipped when pedalling. I found the solution in buying combined knee/shin pads. The attached shin pads hold the knees in place. It May be too cumbersome for some, but if you get the right ones, you forget you are wearing them. I brought the Nukeproof critical armour pads. I've worn them on all day epics for hours on end and have forgotten that they are there. It May be too much fior some, but it is better than no protection at all or protection that doesnt work through ill fitting.

I've been having the same chicken leg problem - tried several sets of knee pads on and not found any that fit right, either slipping down when I move my leg, or digging in behind the knee. I'd come to the same conclusion that knee/shin pads might fit better, and had been looking at the Nukeproof ones online, so it's good to hear from soeone who's got a pair of them. They look a bit OTT for what I'll be doing, but I guess too much protection's better than none.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Find yourself a Demon dealer and try their pads. You wont look back.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Kowalski675
    I tried on the Nukeproof pads today. They didn't have a small pair of knee pads in, but I tried a medium pair just to see what they felt like. Surprisingly, with the velcro fasteners at their tightest extent they just about fitted - the top and bottom openings were a bit too large, but I could pull up and down on the pads without them moving, and they felt comfortable, with useful padding at the sides of the knee too. I reckon the small size would be a good fit on my chicken legs. The small elbow pads fitted me spot on, and felt comfortable - those use Sastec armour, which I know from motorcycle garments (had boxes of it next to my desk at work in various shapes and sizes). For some reason the knee pads don't get the Sastec.

I feel a possible imminent purchase (especially after nearly falling off a couple of times this evening, lol).

They had some 661 pads with D30's excellent flexible armour, but they didn't have a small set to try on. Nearly twice the price of the Nukeproof's too.
  • Kowalski675
    benpinnick wrote:
    Find yourself a Demon dealer and try their pads. You wont look back.

Just googled those - their kevlar/D3O Hyper pads do look very good. Bit more googling would seem to show that they're hard to find though.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Yes, Im lucky as my local LBS (mountain trax) has them, not common though, but a huge leap comfort wise over anything else Ive tried, and I tried them all! Im chicken legged too you see....
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.