Cycling Shorts / Underwear

RICH78
RICH78 Posts: 49
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
If you go for a ride during the day do you always take your underwear off (in order to put your shorts on) and then put them back on after the ride or do you sometimes go commando?

Comments

• Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    General wisdom on here is not to wear underwear, and if it is cotton, I would agree.

I got some compression underwear shorts from Lidl. I've done two 42-45 mile rides with them on under my shorts and they are working for me, no chafing and they wick sweat away, so no sogginess either.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • doug5_10
    doug5_10 Posts: 465
    RICH78 wrote:
    If you go for a ride during the day do you always take your underwear off (in order to put your shorts on) and then put them back on after the ride or do you sometimes go commando?

Since a shower is usually involved, yes I do dress myself properly after a ride?????????? As opposed to running around naked for the rest of the day of course . . .
    Edinburgh Revolution Curve
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Mikey41 wrote:
    I got some compression underwear shorts from Lidl. I've done two 42-45 mile rides with them on under my shorts and they are working for me, no chafing and they wick sweat away, so no sogginess either.
    Same for me - no need so far to start smearing cream everywhere yet, distances up to 70 miles.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    I've been reading these threads with some interest (not dodgy :oops: ) as I always tend to wear underwear as well as proper cycling shorts.
    I have a couple of different makes, all good quality, just for the record.
    Yesterday I decided to "live life in the fast lane" and see what the benefits of going commando were, and after 57 miles in pretty warm weather I was less sweaty, which has to be a good thing, but comfort wise there was no noticeable difference at all!
    I guess I will leave 'em off over the warmer weather from now on, but only to get a bit more air to the nads :D
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Same thread going on over on General - viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12919407

It's like wearing pants under your swimming trunks. You can still swim just as well and if it makes you feel good do it, but the idea [swimming and cycling] is that undercrackers aren't required. Beats me why anyone would pay good money for decent or not so decent shorts then wear pants with them. I can't imagine one single benefit arising from keeping pants on under cycling shorts.
  • Bustacapp
    Bustacapp Posts: 971
    I wear undies under cycling shorts. No problems here!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    CiB wrote:
    Same thread going on over on General - viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12919407

It's like wearing pants under your swimming trunks. You can still swim just as well and if it makes you feel good do it, but the idea [swimming and cycling] is that undercrackers aren't required. Beats me why anyone would pay good money for decent or not so decent shorts then wear pants with them. I can't imagine one single benefit arising from keeping pants on under cycling shorts.

Claggy bits.

I'll say no more.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Gpfanuk
    Gpfanuk Posts: 142
    Underwear is the order of the day for me. I have a paranoid fear of having an off and being laid bare in full view of the traffic! That worries me far more than broken bones and road rash! :oops:
    Muddy Fox Hardtail Circa 1998
    Triban3
    Felt AR5
    ANC Halfords Peugeot (restored and ridden at Eroica 2015)
    A box of bits that will make a fine Harry Hall when I get round to it.
    Raleigh tandem of as yet unknown vintage - ongoing restoration for Eroica 2016
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    CiB wrote:
    I can't imagine one single benefit arising from keeping pants on under cycling shorts.

No need to use cream (money saving and less hassle)
    You can use your bibshorts more than once

There - thats two!
  • CiB
    apreading wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    I can't imagine one single benefit arising from keeping pants on under cycling shorts.

No need to use cream (money saving and less hassle)
    You can use your bibshorts more than once

There - thats two!
    My occasional 100+ mile jaunts don't involve cream of any sort. It's just a myth put around that any ride requires a load of Unicorn Extract smearing all over. I did use Savlon once but didn't notice any real benefit, and tried Sudocrem on a 115 miler with the same perceived lack of benefit. ~50 mile trips to my parents' place are just a run up the road and don't require anything more than sticking an extra few biscuits in the back pocket, and the hour+ thrash to work certainly doesn't require additional smearing. Up to you if you feel that riding any distance that extends into double-digit mileages requires cream, but I'll pass on that thanks.

I also don't go with this need to wash shorts after every ride (see other thread for some nonsense about getting infected if you don't!). Do things in the right order - morning ablutions, shower, dress - to start off literally with a clean slate and it isn't an issue. I don't sweat down in the gentleman's area a great deal anyway but given the option of re-using a slightly sweaty pair of cycle shorts or wearing pants under my shorts, I know which way I'm going.

Keiran - note order of activities. :)
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Are you suggesting saddle sores are nonsense and don't exist? Fair enough if you have had no problems but I'm not sure why you would actually recommend riding in dirty shorts. Bizarre.
  • Chebrikov
    Chebrikov Posts: 29
    Shower every morning and after every ride. Always wear clean cycling shorts. Nothing worse than people who smell. No excuse not to wash cycling clothes after every ride. If you do not nasty odours will build up which can remain even after washing.

If you have a long commute, if you set out freshly showered wearing clean fresh cycling clothing you can get away without a shower when you arrive at work. If in doubt where there are no showering facilities, carry a flannel and small towel and have a quick underarm and arse wash when you get to work then change into work clothes.
  • CiB
    Tom Dean wrote:
    Are you suggesting saddle sores are nonsense and don't exist? Fair enough if you have had no problems but I'm not sure why you would actually recommend riding in dirty shorts. Bizarre.
    Oh dear.

I've never had an issue with saddle sores; I was merely suggesting that the modern trend for cycle outlets to find ever new and inventive ways of extracting cash from us shows no limits, esp when it comes to convincing us that smearing goose fat round our parts is a vital part of riding. It's not, but feel free to do it if you want it, much like those that wish to are free to wear pants under their cycling shorts. OP asked for an opinion; I thought I'd chip in with mine and maybe help to sway newcomers to the sport / hobby from the idea that riding > 12 miles isn't possible without Assos cream and a freshly laundered pair of shorts.

And FTR, I didn't suggest that cycling in dirty shorts is a good thing, it was a suggestion that wearing shorts 2 or 3 times between washes isn't a problem, as a counter to the point that shorts need to be washed after every ride. I do the sniff test occasionally on mine if I'm not sure about them, and it's rare to be able to tell a difference between those out of the wash and those about to go in. 2-3 rides is fine. 26 probably isn't but I wouldn't do that anyway. Shirts do go in after every ride though.

And. Just to be clear. I cycle to work solo - the only bloke who lives near me and works here is never going to do that commute by bike, and when I get here I do the full strip wash in the Disabled Khazi. I'm probably cleaner than some of the people who work here tbh.

HTH. :)
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Bustacapp wrote:
    I wear undies under cycling shorts. No problems here!

Why am I not surprised?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Tom Dean
    CiB wrote:
    Tom Dean wrote:
    Oh dear.

I've never had an issue with saddle sores;
    Maybe when you do you will realise why it's wise to try to prevent them!
    CiB wrote:
    I was merely suggesting that the modern trend for cycle outlets to find ever new and inventive ways of extracting cash from us shows no limits, esp when it comes to convincing us that smearing goose fat round our parts is a vital part of riding.
    :? I don't think the use of chamois cream is especially modern is it? I never saw anyone else get upset over the way sudocrem is marketed before.
    CiB wrote:
    OP asked for an opinion; I thought I'd chip in with mine and maybe help to sway newcomers to the sport / hobby from the idea that riding > 12 miles isn't possible without Assos cream and a freshly laundered pair of shorts.
    No-one said it wasn't possible. Dirty shorts will increase the chances of getting some kind of skin problem. All I'm saying is why wouldn't you wear clean ones instead? It's better to be safe than sorry.
    CiB wrote:
    And FTR, I didn't suggest that cycling in dirty shorts is a good thing, it was a suggestion that wearing shorts 2 or 3 times between washes isn't a problem, as a counter to the point that shorts need to be washed after every ride.
    No-one has made this point.
  • CiB
    Tom Dean wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    Tom Dean wrote:
    Oh dear.

CiB wrote:
    I was merely suggesting that the modern trend for cycle outlets to find ever new and inventive ways of extracting cash from us shows no limits, esp when it comes to convincing us that smearing goose fat round our parts is a vital part of riding.
    :? I don't think the use of chamois cream is especially modern is it? I never saw anyone else get upset over the way sudocrem is marketed before.
    CiB wrote:
    OP asked for an opinion; I thought I'd chip in with mine and maybe help to sway newcomers to the sport / hobby from the idea that riding > 12 miles isn't possible without Assos cream and a freshly laundered pair of shorts.
    No-one said it wasn't possible. Dirty shorts will increase the chances of getting some kind of skin problem. All I'm saying is why wouldn't you wear clean ones instead? It's better to be safe than sorry.
    CiB wrote:
    And FTR, I didn't suggest that cycling in dirty shorts is a good thing, it was a suggestion that wearing shorts 2 or 3 times between washes isn't a problem, as a counter to the point that shorts need to be washed after every ride.
    1. 40+ years and plenty of miles down the road it's not bothered me yet.

2. Use of chamois cream isn't modern, but the use of padding that's not made of chamois is. And please don't introduce emotive words like 'upset' in response to a perfectly valid point, in a weak attempt at belittling something you happen not to agree with..

3. Why wouldn't you? I don't want to generate stacks of unnecessary washing just because I've been on the bike, nor do I want to own a pair of shorts for every day of the week just because there might be traces of sweat in them. Better to be safe than sorry? That's where you lose me, throwing in that argument. 40 years of not being bothered by it leads me to think that I am safe from any evil nasties lurking in a pair of shorts that <gasp> I've already worn once. Once, not a dozen times mind. Let's be clear what we're talking about - not dirty shorts, just shorts that have done a ride or two around a non-sweaty rider.

4. In the thread that I linked to earlier where the same subject is being discussed, and which regularly crops up in these discussions.
    smidsy wrote:
    Never.

The pad is designed to go directly next to the skin. Only wear them once though and then wash them as infections can be had by repeated use between washes.

Chafing will occur if you use underwear.

My underlying exasperation with all this is derived from the fact that everyone who's into cycling in any way knows that shorts are designed not to be worn with pants. From that easy point to answer comes a discussion about why pants are necessary as an alternative to other vital protection, such as creams and washing shorts after every ride. Do these things if you're that bothered but to then suggest that pants, cream or daily shorts washes are absolutely vital to being able to ride any distance is nonsense on stilts. Just ask any of us who grew up in the dark ages when the idea of slathering yourself with creams to do a 100-mile ride would have been laughed out of court. And now we're invited to believe that it's vital. What sort of message are we trying to send to newcomers to this cycling lark? That it's ok but you really do need to splash the cash on duplicate togs, cream that you'll need if you treasure your nads and then going off on a tangent that you can't ride 30 miles without gels & a litre of isotonic power drinks per hour or you'll bonk? Nonsense. Get your bike out, get on it and ride it. It might be a bit of a bind the first few times but I'd much rather be where I am now, able to ride pretty much where & when I want without having to concern myself with all of that nonsense. Yet we're in danger of teaching newcomers the opposite.

Over & out. Wear pants if you want to, and layer yourself in cream if you must. Don't imagine that it's in any way a vital part of your cycling though.
  • Tom Dean
    Jeez. No-one said chamois cream was vital FFS.
    CiB wrote:
    please don't introduce emotive words like 'upset' in response to a perfectly valid point, in a weak attempt at belittling something you happen not to agree with..
    OK sorry but I honestly don't recognise what you describe. While we're on the subject of belittling arguments, chamois cream has a clear function and can hardly be described as 'Unicorn extract" can it? - whether you need it personally or not.

re 'better safe than sorry': If I were new to cycling I would rather not wait and see if I was prone to saddle sores before using a bit of cream would prevent them. It's quite a common problem. Lucky you for not having it.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I get a few rides out of my shorts before I chuck them in the wash. Much depends on how long the ride's been and how sweaty I've got. I've never been particularly sweaty or smelly (my wife confirms this) The shorts do get a proper airing before they go back in the drawer though. Fortunately never had saddle sores. Never used chamois cream either, though I may secretly road test the little sachet I got in my post-sportive Wiggle goody bag. It's clearly designed to make you go faster; all the riders overtaking me left a similarly fragrant slipstream I'm assuming to be Assos cream.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I can confirm that going for a dump after using chamois cream is A BAD THING (TM)

It's like being back at school with that tracing paper bog roll that didn't so much clean as redistribute.

Don't do it kids.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    CiB wrote:
    Tom Dean wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    Tom Dean wrote:
    Oh dear.

CiB wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    1. 40+ years and plenty of miles down the road it's not bothered me yet.

2. Use of chamois cream isn't modern, but the use of padding that's not made of chamois is. And please don't introduce emotive words like 'upset' in response to a perfectly valid point, in a weak attempt at belittling something you happen not to agree with..

3. Why wouldn't you? I don't want to generate stacks of unnecessary washing just because I've been on the bike, nor do I want to own a pair of shorts for every day of the week just because there might be traces of sweat in them. Better to be safe than sorry? That's where you lose me, throwing in that argument. 40 years of not being bothered by it leads me to think that I am safe from any evil nasties lurking in a pair of shorts that <gasp> I've already worn once. Once, not a dozen times mind. Let's be clear what we're talking about - not dirty shorts, just shorts that have done a ride or two around a non-sweaty rider.

4. In the thread that I linked to earlier where the same subject is being discussed, and which regularly crops up in these discussions.
    smidsy wrote:
    Never.

The pad is designed to go directly next to the skin. Only wear them once though and then wash them as infections can be had by repeated use between washes.

Chafing will occur if you use underwear.

My underlying exasperation with all this is derived from the fact that everyone who's into cycling in any way knows that shorts are designed not to be worn with pants. From that easy point to answer comes a discussion about why pants are necessary as an alternative to other vital protection, such as creams and washing shorts after every ride. Do these things if you're that bothered but to then suggest that pants, cream or daily shorts washes are absolutely vital to being able to ride any distance is nonsense on stilts. Just ask any of us who grew up in the dark ages when the idea of slathering yourself with creams to do a 100-mile ride would have been laughed out of court. And now we're invited to believe that it's vital. What sort of message are we trying to send to newcomers to this cycling lark? That it's ok but you really do need to splash the cash on duplicate togs, cream that you'll need if you treasure your nads and then going off on a tangent that you can't ride 30 miles without gels & a litre of isotonic power drinks per hour or you'll bonk? Nonsense. Get your bike out, get on it and ride it. It might be a bit of a bind the first few times but I'd much rather be where I am now, able to ride pretty much where & when I want without having to concern myself with all of that nonsense. Yet we're in danger of teaching newcomers the opposite.

Over & out. Wear pants if you want to, and layer yourself in cream if you must. Don't imagine that it's in any way a vital part of your cycling though.

I'm with CiB here. I used to wear shorts years ago that had a real chamois in them, I had to "soften up" the chamois after washing and apply some cream to make it soft - that's real chamois cream for you.

With modern shorts and new materials I really don't see what cream is supposed to do. The pad is soft and shouldn't cause abrasions, that's assuming they're clean and fit properly, and the saddle is reasonably comfortable.

I too have worn shorts on more than one ride, around 40 miles each, not a problem. They're weren't dirty, just worn once before.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Tom Dean
    OK that's two of you who don't find chamois cream useful. Anyone who thought they had saddle sores or skin irritation must be imagining things. I take it all back :roll:
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    drlodge wrote:

With modern shorts and new materials I really don't see what cream is supposed to do. The pad is soft and shouldn't cause abrasions, that's assuming they're clean and fit properly, and the saddle is reasonably comfortable.

This may come as a shock, but modern 'chamois' cream is intended to be applied to areas of the skin which may be prone to chafing - not the pad on the shorts.
  • apreading
    Imposter wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

This may come as a shock, but modern 'chamois' cream is intended to be applied to areas of the skin which may be prone to chafing - not the pad on the shorts.

Yeah - I would guess that it is for areas where skin rubs against skin. Like your a**e crack maybe but I would guess mainly for the skin between crotch and leg. I dont think pads will help with this rubbing, nor will trunks/boxers etc because they dont normally get right into this area. briefs do though - and this is why I wear them under bibshorts rather than trunks.

I cant beleive we are having this kind of conversation about men's undewear...!
  • CiB
    Tom Dean wrote:
    OK that's two of you who don't find chamois cream useful. Anyone who thought they had saddle sores or skin irritation must be imagining things. I take it all back :roll:
    Ever pondered the idea that by not using it means that the skin v quickly gets used to being on a bike and adapts? Wonderful thing the human body. Instead of having to apply stuff, just let it adapt to whatever conditions it needs to and be free from all this palava. It's not as if we ride on seats with nails implanted in them or anything mad like that.

I had half an idea to go on about how we seem to have become a nation of soft-ar$ed jessies these days, having to smear cream over ourselves to do a bike ride, and posting threads about doing 20 miles (yay you!!!! Go!), but I won't bother. Use pants, creams, padded cushions, a suit of armour if you like. The rest of us can carry on with just jumping on the bike to do whatever distance we feel like doing without the additional performance that others feel is vital, and without ending a ride walking like John Wayne because we know that pants & cream are unnecessary and can just get on with it, instead of teaching ourselves - and then other newcomers - that all this stuff really is needed.

Carry on everyone. :lol::lol:
  • apreading
    You are the Jessie, wearing padded bibshorts - just get on the bike and ride :mrgreen:

naked_cyclist_150_150x180.jpg
  • Tom Dean
    CiB wrote:
    Ever pondered the idea that by not using it means that the skin v quickly gets used to being on a bike and adapts? Wonderful thing the human body. Instead of having to apply stuff, just let it adapt to whatever conditions it needs to and be free from all this palava. It's not as if we ride on seats with nails implanted in them or anything mad like that.
    No, but even if true, I'd rather not go through the adaptation period, nor do I really want 'toughened' skin in that area! If that makes me a jessie, so be it. It's really not a palava or a performance and I will repeat for you, again, that no-one said it was vital. I don't know why you think this is such a big deal.
  • CiB
    I'm just responding to your insistence that saddle sores are a big problem, and all the other stuff you keep claiming that I CBA to go over again.

I think it only fair that newcomers to cycling on here don't read a one-sided view that says pants, daily shorts washes or cream are a necessary part of cycling. That's all.
  • Tom Dean
    They are a big problem if you have them.

How many times am I going to have to point out to you that no-one has said the above are necessary?
  • nutter_bed
    nutter_bed Posts: 87
    This isn't aimed at anyone in particular but, why do a lot of threads on this forum have to descend into an argument?

Some people need cream, some don't.
    Some people wash shorts every time, some wear them a couple of times before washing.
    Some people wear underwear with their cycling shorts, some don't.

It's the same argument that some people get joggers nipple and some don't.
    I don't, but my mate does. He puts vaseline on before running because he always ends up sore in that area after running. I don't, so be it!

If we were all the same, life would be a little boring wouldn't it.

Can't we just put our personal opinions across and leave it at that without arguing.
    After all, everyone is entitled to their own opinion even if it differs from your own!

For what it's worth, I agree with CiB but that's just my own personal opinion from my own personal experience :)
  • hatch87
    hatch87 Posts: 352
    May as well add my personal opinion in :)
    I prefer wearing my boxers with my cycle shorts/bibs, I've tried a few times without and always end up with a bit of chafing. Leave my boxers on and I get a good wedgie and no material left to rub and make the skin sore. It seems to work for me and lets me wear my cycle shorts multiple times.
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/686217
    Come on! You call this a storm? Blow, you son of a bitch! Blow! It's time for a showdown! You and me! I'm right here! Come and get me!