Brake and fork problems due to a thief.

brucie0000
brucie0000 Posts: 25
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I'm new to the forum and need some advice from people more knowledgeable than me!

Last night some scumbag cut my front brake line, stole my front brake calliper and managed to snap off the top mounting point from my front fork.

I have a Kona Caldera 2010, and the parts damaged or stolen are a shimano m575 calliper and Rockshox Tora solo SL. What are my options?
So far a bit of fishing on the Internet I've seen a front calliper for £30, not too bad. Do I need an adaptor?

A friend of mine has a 2008 specialized rockhopper which he's offered to me for £125 and this has a Rockshox Tora 302 RS fork. Am I right in thinking this is a coil fork and not air? Is it better than the solo I have currently? I was thinking of stripping this and selling on the frame etc. the brakes fitted on it are tektro dracos are these any good?

What other options do I have?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What has been snapped off your fork?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • brucie0000
    the post mount threads that stick out on the bottom that allows fitting of the front brake calliper. it looks they've tried to remove the bolts with a pair of pliers and failed on the top one so just ripped it off.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    New fork (lots of choice), or just lowers.

New caliper (will be PM so with 160mm disc no adaptor needed) and pads.

Front hose

Front caliper (Shimano are very interchangeable, so for example XT would work just fine)

Some of the above you can pick up used quite reasonably, depending on your ability to DIY fix.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • brucie0000
    I've got another m575 shimano caliper for £24. I'm sure the brake hose is reusable so I've got a new connecting bolt, olive and pin insert.
    Just need to get hold of a fork now. I'm swaying towards Recon solo air.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Recon is a good fork and better than the Tora....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    The recon is a decent fork but you could just get the fork lower helicoiled if it is just the threads that are stripped
  • cooldad
    Often won't work as there's not enough metal.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    brucie0000 wrote:
    . . .
    Last night some scumbag cut my front brake line, stole my front brake calliper and managed to snap off the top mounting point from my front fork.
    . . .

Does this not strike anyone else as an extraordinarily specific crime? Even more bizarre that the thief must have managed to get one bolt out but had to break off the other. Weird.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • brucie0000
    That's exactly what they did, it leads me to think the person may live in my apartment building to take that specific part.
  • brucie0000
    8107262634b788c2f9a11620a56fb9d4.jpg

dd86ff760208a083fbd6bc3e96fcf575.jpg

That's the damage they caused.
  • cooldad
    Forks, or lowers at least fubared.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • brucie0000
    Yeah, i know. Wasn't as bothered about the stolen caliper when I saw that.
    Got it sorted now, brand new caliper and connecting pins/olive, managed to get hold of a rockshox recon second hand off of the classified section at a price I was well pleased with.

While the bike's in bits, its having a overhaul too.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    But you've got a q/r wheel there that they just left behind? That is utterly bizarre. I'd ask around and see if anyone saw anything, because that looks very much like a thief who's had to finish up in a hurry. In the meantime I suggest surrounding your bike with claymore mines and wiring it to the mains
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • brucie0000
    In regards to the q/r wheel, where its stored I've got the bike locked against 2 hoops in the ground.
    I've got one d-lock around the frame, rear wheel and hoop. Another d-lock around the frame at the front and a wheel cable going through the d lock and front wheel. The did loosen the wheel to get access to brakes but that's it.
    I've spoken to the caretaker of the building and sorted alternative storage now.