Have I made a bad purchase?

sdubs
sdubs Posts: 4
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Greetings. I've been looking at bikes at local shops and online for about 3 weeks. I am weary of the search. I saw this Fugi online and it looked to be a great deal and so I bought it online. It will arrive at my local shop for assembly and pick up this week. I am new to biking and will mostly be taking it up as a good way to get outside and to exercise. I hope to fall in love with it and get trained up for longer rides and group, etc.

does this appear to be an ok buy?
I've just read about the triple/compact debate and I'm ok with that I guess.

maybe someone can speak to the crankset and cassette? ← this would be very helpful. what are the pros/cons here?

edit: I guess the bike is a 2010 model.
http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/w ... av&itemId=

appreciative of any comments. apologies for the length. new here. new to road biking. thanks.

Comments

• Jim C
    Jim C Posts: 333
    Looks good to me. Fuji generally good value for money and most of the frames I've seen are quite nice
    jc
  • sdubs
    Jim C wrote:
    Looks good to me. Fuji generally good value for money and most of the frames I've seen are quite nice

Thanks Jim! that was a quick reply! Do you have any thoughts on the crankset and cassette? Will they suffice for a beginner or are these spec'd for perhaps a specific ride/purpose?
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    Looks fine, if anything on it really annoys you, then you're not concentration on the scenery enough:-)

The lowest gear looks fine, if not find less steep hills.
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    At the very worst, you'll need to replace the 11-25 with something like a 11-28. Cassettes wear out in any case, so it will need replacing at some point anyway. Just see how you get on with it in the meantime.
  • Jim C
    Jim C Posts: 333
    I didn't look at the spec too closely. Its a bike from a reputable company. The cassette will be fine. A slightly lower gear might be useful, but get out there and ride it. For that sort of money, nothing needs upgrading until it wears out- even tyres- just ride it.

You ll love it. Concentrate on your riding, not the bike
    jc
  • sdubs
    Jim C wrote:
    I didn't look at the spec too closely. Its a bike from a reputable company. The cassette will be fine. A slightly lower gear might be useful, but get out there and ride it. For that sort of money, nothing needs upgrading until it wears out- even tyres- just ride it.

You ll love it. Concentrate on your riding, not the bike

Jim,

This is great advice and it really takes the pressure off of the purchase and emphasizes instead the purpose. The company is reputable Performance apparently has a 100% satisfaction guarantee, which provides a full refund for 1 year.

Thank you!