Single ring conversion HELP

coblck
coblck Posts: 217
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I currently run 2x10 with 40-28 at front and 34-11 at rear with shimano xt GS shadow plus rear mech, i am going to change to 34t single ring at front will i need to change my mech as well to short cage version or will i get away with my GS version XT one, any advice welcome many thanks.
Giant tcr pro ultegra
Cannondale CAADX GRX 812
Voodoo Marasa 2011

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    No, it'll be fine.
  • coblck
    Thought so bud cheers time to look for a chain device now
    Giant tcr pro ultegra
    Cannondale CAADX GRX 812
    Voodoo Marasa 2011
  • symanoy
    symanoy Posts: 123
    You'll be running more chain than you need, but it will work fine. Can get a Zee short cage shadow plus, if you want shortest possible chain. If you wanted to do that I might be interested in your gs shadow plus!
    Giant Trance X2 Build Sadly since stolen!
    replaced with Giant Trance MKII
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You won't be running a longer chain, as you measure the chain excluding the mech.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • coblck
    edited May 2013
    Thanks again guys will find out this weekend think i will be shortening a little as moving from 40t to 36t but well see.
    Giant tcr pro ultegra
    Cannondale CAADX GRX 812
    Voodoo Marasa 2011
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Shorter cage isn't necessary, but desirable (IMO). Though I've run single ring with long and mid cage mechs for ages with no issues.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • coblck
    Just purchased one of these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=87855 ( E13 XCX chain Guide) cwill be using it with my new ZEE 36t chainset is it possible to also put a bash on by chianset and still run the chain guide ???
    Giant tcr pro ultegra
    Cannondale CAADX GRX 812
    Voodoo Marasa 2011
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    No. The only option for a bash is to run something with a taco (like a MRP AMG), a full guide (top and bottom), or an inner guide (like an Ngear Jumpstop).
  • m1tch666
    m1tch666 Posts: 148
    BBB inner and outer bash which act as an effective chain guide :D especially if you have a rear mech with clutch
    Dartmoor Primal 26" 1 x 10, 40 expander
    Banshee Spitfire 650b 1 x 10, 42 expander
  • symanoy
    symanoy Posts: 123
    cooldad wrote:
    You won't be running a longer chain, as you measure the chain excluding the mech.

Yes, but IME when you add the mech into the equation that is longer than it needs to it can cause issues.
    I shortened my chain sufficiently to switch from a 3x10 to 2x10 but with a long cage mech it didn't work.
    Giant Trance X2 Build Sadly since stolen!
    replaced with Giant Trance MKII