What would you do?

James Q
James Q Posts: 201
edited May 2013 in MTB general
Ok situation is....I have a Trek 3500 Disc, nice enough bike but some parts are poor as its a base model, I've already changed pedals, handle bars, seat and grips, but looking to up grade the cranks and brakes etc. But.. I've seen an old Carrera Vulcan 2008 frame. Now do I buy the frame and start fresh and put up graded parts on the Carrera frame, or just up grade the Trek? Now I could save up for a new bike but theres no fun in that lol.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I would not spend the money on a 5 year old frame.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • James Q
    So stick with the trek and up grade parts on there?
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    Pedals bars seat and grips, OK. You've upgraded all the contact points. Quality, usually expensive, tyres make a huge difference too.
    But what do you expect to get from a crank upgrade?

There may be no fun in saving for a new bike, but just enjoy & ride what you have, and save up. It's easily the best way to get a decent bike new or 2nd hand, by comparison your current bike is a money pit.
  • James Q
    I've all ready up graded to rubber queen tires. As for the crank up grade I was looking to go 1x9 or 2x10.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Why? Stick with a triple.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Or don't and join the 21st century.
  • James Q

Because I never use the granny ring and hardly go on the big ring.
  • Yacoby
    Yacoby Posts: 211
    James Q wrote:

Because I never use the granny ring and hardly go on the big ring.
    I would just leave the chainrings on and just ride it till the BB dies but that is me.

Could you just take the inner and big ring off?
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Yacoby wrote:
    I would just leave the chainrings on and just ride it till the BB dies but that is me.

Could you just take the inner and big ring off?

You'd need shorter bolts. If you're determined not to use those other rings try screwing the adjuster screws all the way in - that way you can change back if you find that you want to use them again. I'd also stick with it until the BB dies . . .
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • robertzee
    robertzee Posts: 21
    If you are happy with the geometry and size of the frame I would definitely upgrade. I have a Trek 4300 which I have fitted R/S Reba forks,easton ea70 bars and stem,cane creek headset,slx crankset,xt front and rear mech,9speed slx cassette and chain,slx hydraulic disc brakes,holzfeller pedals,thomson seatpost and phenom saddle
    (Triggers brush springs to mind) I now have a much lighter bike that I absolutely love and still cant resist taking it out leaving my full susser at home.
    You may be too old to rock but never too old to roll.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    See link in my sig to my 2006 Kraken, or rather a 2006 Kraken frame......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.