Ribble gran fondo

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You can of course go upgrade crazy lol, but for me its about getting it just right.
    If you are using bike builder you have all the options open. The Deda stuff just looks sexier for not much more.
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    Carbonator wrote:
    You can of course go upgrade crazy lol, but for me its about getting it just right.
    If you are using bike builder you have all the options open. The Deda stuff just looks sexier for not much more.

yes but just as my first bike dont want to look like the 'all the gear no idea' tyoe of rider, so long as got the basics, like shimano 105 and few other things will look at the deda items now as will be order the bike and few other items tonight
  • fsman
    fsman Posts: 112
    Personally I would pick the Campagnolo Volece over the Shimano 105.
  • Anonymous
    Don't worry about that all the gear, no idea rubbish. Get the bike you want. A slightly nicer looking stem or whatever is not going to effect what people think of you on your Ribble.
    That phrase should not be uttered at someone like you that is just after a good value proper road bike to do some enjoyable riding ;-)

Here's what we are up to with the mrs one. Her frame has a lot of white in it hence the white Deda.

Ribble New Sportive Carbon Road Frame S (50cm C to top)
    Ribble Headset Branded Ribble 1 1/8" Hidden (ITS) 45 x 45
    Shimano 105 (5700) Black 10 Spd Double Groupset
    Shimano 10 Spd 105 5700 Cassette 12-25
    Shimano 105 Black Double 5700/5750 10 Spd Chainset 5750 Compact 170 34/50
    Mavic Aksium S Red Clincher Wheels / Tyre System Pair M10 Shim 700x23
    Deda RHM 02 Bars White 42cm
    Deda Zero 2 Stem White 100mm
    Trivio Headset Spacers Alloy 1 1/8" Black 10mm
    Selle Italia X1 Lady Saddle White
    rDeda RSX 02 Seatpillar White 31.6 350mm
    Deda Cork Ribbon Handlebar Tape Carbon Black
    Price excluding Pedals: £1,289.92

My wife is 5'5" with 30" inside leg and slightly longer torso compared to legs than average.
    Any opinions on size/spec would be appreciated guys :-)
    Went for the 50 over 48 with 100mm stem.
    Thought of Campag Veloce but that would rule out her being able to use any of my wheels.
    Still thinking about it though. Think the colour looks better as not as chunky and black as the 105.

Any idea of delivery time on yours Dav1d1?
  • Anonymous
    Its less than £40 more to have Campag Centaur with carbon black shifters.
    Would it be silly to have 105?
    What would decide which cage length to have if we go for Centaur?
    Is down shifting ok from the drops with small hands?

We have forgotten about swapping wheels now so Campag is back on the radar.
    Which Chainset looks the best do you think?
  • dav1d1
    fsman wrote:
    Personally I would pick the Campagnolo Volece over the Shimano 105.

so i have now chosen the Campagnolo 2013 Veloce Black 10 Spd Double Groupse, with
    12-25 cassette
    compact 172.5 34/50 is that good?
    and a short deraillier did not know whether to go short or medium?

they said they would build it about 3 weeks, but am getting them to keep it till august as in the forces and deploying for two months end of the week
  • Anonymous
    All sounds good. Brings the price down too.
    Not sure about derailleur myself. Thinking medium may be better if fitting a larger cassette at a later date perhaps.
    Someone will be along to clear it up soon I hope.
    Did you look at Centaur (yes, I know the prices creep up. £7 here, £30 there :shock: )?
  • dav1d1
    just looked at the centaur at the red/black due to the bike being mainly black/red and do like it and the Campagnolo Powershift Ergopowers Double Centaur Carbon Black/Red 10Spd w/ cables carbon look nice
  • Anonymous
    The groupset looks very, very nice lol.
    Wondering if the red version is overkill on my wife's?
    Its a different red to so think carefully. It just looks so nice though.
  • Anonymous
    You will need to swap those Mavics for the Fulcrum Racing Quattro Wheels if you do go for the red Centaur.
    They are the same brand (Campag own Fulcrum I think), they have a deeper rim and...............matching red nipples :P
  • dav1d1
    It may sound like a stupid question but how come you have yo change wheels with different group sets and also when choosing tubular you don't have to pick tyres and inners! How come?
  • Anonymous
    Sorry, just re read my comment and it sounds like a command lol, but it was meant (half) jokingly. i.e. if you up the group set, you will need the matching wheels ;-)

You can have whatever wheels, but looking at the Campag for the mrs I then looked at the Fulcrums again because they kind of go hand in hand with Campag.
    Think the new racing sportive frame is basically a DeRosa, so it will be virtually all Italian then :lol:

Have not looked at tubular wheels re tyres\tubes, but I would say you would be better sticking to Clincher wheels.
    I would get some open tubulars (Vittoria open corsa are one thats on the bike builder) and latex tubes (you will have to get them separately as none on the bike builder) to go on the clinchers.

Tubular tyres have a built in tube so that is why you cannot select tubes with them.
    They have to be glued to the tubular wheel.
    Had a quick look and seems you can select any tubular tyre. It just cancels tubes and only lists tubular tyres as you cannot put clincher tyres on tubular wheels.
  • Anonymous
    Anyone know if the black/red Centaur chainset is a 'glossier' black than the standard black version or the Veloce?
    It looks it in the bike builder pic.
  • dav1d1
    Ok thanks for the reply so how do you puncture repair if you can't take the tube off? And yes think it is more glossy does look like that on the photos anyway
  • Anonymous
    You don't repair a puncture, you have to glue a new tyre on really. You can also put sealant in the tyre but Its hassle and expense you do not need to get into right now.
    I have some tubular wheels/tyres and they are great but I think you would be better off sticking to clinchers with this build.
  • Anonymous
    HELP! The option of the Centaur carbon shifters has disappeared :shock:
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Dav1d1 wrote:
    It may sound like a stupid question but how come you have yo change wheels with different group sets and also when choosing tubular you don't have to pick tyres and inners! How come?

The Campag freehub body (where the cassette slides on) is different to the Shimano/SRAM one. Some manufacturers provide both types of freehub body, others do not.
  • clembo
    clembo Posts: 20
    I’ve been reading this thread with interest as I’m looking to make the trip to Ribble to get sized up for a Gran Fondo. However, I have a slight concern regarding past forum comments about cracked paint work? To be fair most comments were from some time ago but would like to understand if Ribble resolved this? I really like to look of the bike with a part of me thinking I should play safe with a Spesh or Cube. Budget wise around £1,300 max. I'd welcome any comments and feedback :)
  • jameses
    I think the cracking paint issue was on an older model, no problems so far with my 2013 version. They also did offer a re-paint on the frames that had that problem. Don't think you'll hear a bad word said about the gran fondo, it's a great bike and £1300 should get you 105 or veloce with some decent wheels.
  • clembo
    Yep - Shimano 105 is on the list. Just need to determine which wheels to get? Should I go for the Rodi Airline Evo Clinchers or spend the extra on the Shimano RS30's? Are the Rodi wheels any good?
  • jameses
    The rodi's are supposed to be pretty average. If you're going Shimano, Mavic Aksiums are probably your best bet - they're decent, solid wheels, not too heavy (about 1800g, I think) and the extra £85 over the rodi's also gets you decent tyres, unlike the standard ones they spec.
  • Anonymous
    I would say go with the Mavics too.

Can anyone help me out with choosing between small and medium cage on Campag Centaur.
    Why would you choose one over the other?
  • dav1d1
    Don't know why they have taken off the choosing of the carbon shifters? Yes I'd also like to know short or medium before ordering tomorrow
  • jameses
    If you're going for a compact or double setup, go for a short cage rear mech. The medium cage is only needed for a triple (or if you've gone for a compact chainset and 30+ tooth large sprocket at the rear).
  • Anonymous
    Cheers JamesEs ;-)

I got the carbon shifters back somehow now Dav1d1 :-)
    The bike is getting pricey now :shock: but then looks cheap again when you look around :D
  • dav1d1
    o nice how you do that, yes my 7046 curved costing just over 1k than ordering bottle/cage/multi tool/puncture kit/chamois cream/mini pump/garmin 500

also how do people know what psi there wheels are do they buy the psi gauge
  • Anonymous
    Not sure what I did, it just popped up when I swapped the groupset around.
    I am not buying it without the carbon ones lol.

I would get a decent track pump. I have a Topeak 'Joe Blow' and the gauge works well. Either that or get a digital pressure gauge. I have an Oxford Digi Gauge, but rarely use now I have the Topeak track pump.

Latest on the mrs Ribble is black Centaur (with carbon levers/short cage) and black/red Mavics.
    Wheels can always be upgraded :twisted:
  • dav1d1
    Ok thanks will get a track pump with the gauge on! Yes I have the same but with my 7046 will be in ribble tomorrow
  • clembo
    JamesES, Carbonator

Many thanks for the advice guys …. Mavic Aksiums are now on the list. Looks like I’m heading north to Preston this weekend :wink:
  • dav1d1
    bike ordered

Ribble 7046 Sportive Curved Frame 52cm (C-Top)
    Ribble 7046 Sportive Carbon Road Forks 1 1/8" ITS
    Ribble Headset Branded Ribble 1 1/8" Hidden (ITS) 45 x 45
    Campagnolo 2013 Centaur Black/Red 10 Spd Double Groupset
    Campagnolo Power Torque Outboard Cups (EPS Compatible) Eng
    Campagnolo Centaur Black/Red Brakes Road
    Campagnolo 10Spd Centaur UD Cassette 12-25
    Campagnolo 10Spd Centaur Chain
    Campagnolo Centaur Blk/Red PT 10S C/Set Compact 172.5 34/50
    Campagnolo Centaur Blk/Red 10 Spd Double Front Gear Braze-on
    Campagnolo Centaur Blk/Red 10Spd Rear Gear Short
    Campagnolo P/S Ergos Dble Centaur Carb Blk/Red 10 w/cbls Blk
    Mavic Pr WTS Aksium S Red Clincher ED11 Camp 700x23