Sun tan cream when cycling

2»

Comments

• goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Davdandy wrote:
    For the very little time we get sun i don't bother.

Absolutely. Soak it up dude!

Im all for soaking up all the sun, I am sporting bad ass tan lines already and they will only get worse!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    P20>*
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    P20 now comes in P30 flavour as well for those that want a little extra protection. Used it for years but upgraded to P30 for Gran Canaria in April and pleased with the protection it gave.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Bigpikle wrote:
    P20 now comes in P30 flavour as well for those that want a little extra protection. Used it for years but upgraded to P30 for Gran Canaria in April and pleased with the protection it gave.

Saw that too - and irt now comes in a spray too - though the SPF10, SPF20 and SPF30 are all called P20 which was a bit confusing when I first bought some.
  • sunburntknees
    sunburntknees Posts: 272
    Another +1 for Piz Buin. Boots/Superdrug stuff is also good if you're on a budget. I find PB is easier to put on, lasts longer and feels generally nicer though!
  • asprilla
    Bigpikle wrote:

P20 is the name but it comes in SPF15, SPF20, SPF30 and SPF50 factors. SPF50 is essentially complete sunblock.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    The Piz Buin One Day Long stuff works well for me. I have ginger tendencies so burn easily but have found that even the low (for me) spf of 30 keeps me safe for a day in the saddle. Quite impressive since I do sweat a lot and would normally need to reapply normal sun cream throughout the day. I think Boots were doing a 2-4-1 deal on it too.

Yet another +1 for the Piz Buin. You don't need much and it absorbs really well, avoiding a load of greasy excess to get all over your kit.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Neutrogena ultimate sport sunscreen SPF 70+ in winter and summer!
    The sun in New Zealand is vicious.
  • jezzpalmer
    jezzpalmer Posts: 389
    P20 here too, marvellous stuff.
  • I tend to sweat pretty bad and usually find a problem with it running into my eyes along with sun cream, anyone got any tips on how to limit this? Also those that use P20, do you find this runs and stings the eyes seeing as it is alcohol based?
  • jezzpalmer
    jezzpalmer Posts: 389
    The alcohol evaporates off pretty quick, it's just a carrier.
    I find it less oily/sticky than 'normal' sun cream, never had it run into my eyes (prob not trying hard enough LOL) but it does taste a bit rank so it prob would sting a bit.
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    I tend to sweat pretty bad and usually find a problem with it running into my eyes along with sun cream, anyone got any tips on how to limit this? Also those that use P20, do you find this runs and stings the eyes seeing as it is alcohol based?

I can't use the p20 on my face for that reason - ends up in my eyes within a few minutes and hence I then wipe it off and end up with burnt eyes! And I can't wear white with it on!

The neutrogena is the best I've found thus far for my face in particular, and more so that you can't readily tell you've even got the stuff on, but i've only ever found it in the states.
  • asprilla
    jezzpalmer wrote:
    The alcohol evaporates off pretty quick, it's just a carrier.
    I find it less oily/sticky than 'normal' sun cream, never had it run into my eyes (prob not trying hard enough LOL) but it does taste a bit rank so it prob would sting a bit.

Yeah, I've never found it runs into my eyes (mind, I always wear a cap to soak up the sweat).
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    I tend to sweat pretty bad and usually find a problem with it running into my eyes along with sun cream, anyone got any tips on how to limit this? Also those that use P20, do you find this runs and stings the eyes seeing as it is alcohol based?

I found there's no problems with it getting in my eyes, provided you follow the instructions and put it on 15 minutes before you head off - to give the alcohol time to evaporate and let the rest of stuff get absorbed.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    g00se wrote:
    I found there's no problems with it getting in my eyes, provided you follow the instructions and put it on 15 minutes before you head off - to give the alcohol time to evaporate and let the rest of stuff get absorbed.
    I agree. :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Picked up some of the Piz Buin and find the packaging confusing - I'll not be using it on the bike much. Says one day on the front, but the back says re-apply frequently, especially after swimming or sweating which kind of defeats the object of all day sun protection.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    g00se wrote:

+1

Classic case of RTFM !

If you apply it and go out straight away, sweat will make it run and sting your eyes. If you apply as per the instructions and let it bond to your skin for 15-20 mins, it doesn't run at all.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • P20 is awesome stuff...

This stuff is also awesome:

http://islandtribe.co.uk/products/island-tribe-spf-40-gel

Use this stuff for kitesurfing where water proofing and not having it run into our eyes is essential. Sticks like shoite to a blanket :D Make sure you get the gel version!