Shimano Click'R System?

uzapuca
uzapuca Posts: 103
edited July 2016 in Commuting general
Hi guys,
Have anyone tried the Shimano Click'R System?
http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;n ... duct=36787

Seemingly it is recommended to used with bike shoes optimized for this system...but i am not sure if any regular SPD clip-less Shimano Shoes will do the work.
http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;n ... duct=40559

So what do you think is it worth it?

Best,
S

Comments

• fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    Looks like a touring pedal set-up. Easier to walk in the shoes than the regular spd sl shoes. I think they look okay
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    my brother has those pedals and he likes them - they are easy to clip in/out of and they incorporate amber reflectors so from a legal standpoint after dark, you're legal! (most pedals dont have these)

Any spd shoes (not spd-l, which are a different system) will do fine.
  • uzapuca
    Thanks for the good info CookeeeMonster!
    Yes it seems the new click'r system it is quite easier to attach. Unfortunately, the shoe selection and the pedals models of Shimano is quite limited. I think that even the design is better Shimano don't want to get rid off the tradicional model so is not putting much energy in Click'r models.

Best,
  • cookeeemonster
    Any SPD shoe will fit - they're not only made by shimano by the way, you will have a fair amount of choice out there.

Try the normal 'big' cycle stores to get your initial selection i.e. wiggle, chain reaction, tredz, evans, decathalon etc and you'll find quite a big choice
  • cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    Any SPD shoe will fit - they're not only made by shimano by the way, you will have a fair amount of choice out there.

Click'R is just another two-bolt cleat system so loads of choice of shoe. Seems more marketing than anything else to me as I have never found normal SPD cleats to be an issue for unclipping from the pedal even when I was newb. However if the 'reassurance' gets more people into cleats then all the better. (Still working on Mrs cookdn. :wink:)
    Try the normal 'big' cycle stores to get your initial selection i.e. wiggle, chain reaction, tredz, evans, decathalon etc and you'll find quite a big choice

I haven't found Decathlon great for shoes. Mrs cookdn had a pair of their own-brand MTB style shoes for commuting. I got her an entry-level pair of Shimano shoes in the CRC clearance after Xmas and the Decathlon shoes went in the bin, the difference in comfort and sole support was that pronounced. They do sell branded shoes such as Shimano but their pricing is not very competitive. Useful for initially sizing shoes before ordering them from Wiggle/CRC though :-).
    Boardman CX Team
  • uzapuca
    According to this article i am not sure about that any shoe with fit a Click’R system. That why i was asking before. What do you think? :?

http://www.bicycles.net.au/2013/03/shim ... ng-pedals/

The Click’R Shoes

Like the pedals, the range of shoes that complement the Click’R pedals have features that have been seen before, but not all in one place. This range of shoes is designed to take full advantage of the Click’R pedal design and while you can use your normal SPD shoes with the Click’R pedals, there are many reasons why an upgrade would be worthwhile.
  • cookdn
    uzapuca wrote:
    According to this article i am not sure about that any shoe with fit a Click’R system. That why i was asking before. What do you think? :?

http://www.bicycles.net.au/2013/03/shim ... ng-pedals/

The Click’R Shoes

Like the pedals, the range of shoes that complement the Click’R pedals have features that have been seen before, but not all in one place. This range of shoes is designed to take full advantage of the Click’R pedal design and while you can use your normal SPD shoes with the Click’R pedals, there are many reasons why an upgrade would be worthwhile.

The article confirms that there is nothing particularly special about the Click'R shoes (they and normal two-bolt SPD shoes are interchangeable both ways) other than they are designed to complement the pedals.
    .... I will end this section, however, by saying that the Click’R pedals are not an incremental improvement with a new name. With the Click’R pedals, Shimano may have finally made the ideal commuting pedal.
    Regardless of any technical features the shoes may have, the best thing about them is the style. These shoes really look good. [....] All of the shoes in the range look great, but the ones I had (SH-CT40) are perfect sports/casual shoes, suitable for the less formal workplace. [....] when I commute between work campuses, I don’t need to change shoes at the other end.

This isn't a negative thing. Shimano are clearly positioning Click'R to appeal to the more casual cyclist who may have previously discounted cycling specific shoes on looks/practicality off the bike and SPD pedals on an perception on them being potentially problematic on a more start/stop type of ride such as an urban commute.

Best regards
    Boardman CX Team
  • uzapuca
    thanks for the very good info and explanation Cookdn! :wink:
  • cookdn
    uzapuca wrote:
    thanks for the very good info and explanation Cookdn! :wink:

No problem. My grammar wasn't the best but you obviously got the gist. :) On the basis of this female-centric review I might get a pair for Mrs cookdn.
    Boardman CX Team
  • Ernesider
    Ernesider Posts: 300
    Description of Shimano SPD Pedal Click'R PD-T400
    The Click'R concept allows a essential easier entry. The entering and leaving hardness is lower than on usual SPD-systems. It fits excellent to the new CT- and UT shoe models. Save and chic.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I use the t400 for commuting with sh56 cleats ... Very very easy to get in and out of ... Without a doubt I am the fastest thing off the lights with the pedals being double sided and on a platform so if you miss the clip you can still pedal ... Foot comes out if them faultlessly even with a heavy loaded pannier, off balance bike and a Pokemon go pedestrian walking out in front of you .... The only downside of the pedal is if you suddenly put the power down and really pull up with your feet on the clips, if your feet arnt perfectly in line, ie no twist then you can and I do unclip as I try to sprint.

I would not use them for anything other than stop start commuting if I had the choice
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I use M520's for commuting, snap in and out at will and you can pedal if it fails to clip in.....I really can't see these offer anything more than a psychological benefit.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    The Rookie wrote:
    I use M520's for commuting, snap in and out at will and you can pedal if it fails to clip in.....I really can't see these offer anything more than a psychological benefit.

They are just easier to get in and out of .. more float, less tension .... you think the ms520s are easy ... and they are, but the t400 are stupidly easy ... that stupid ease though comes with its disadvantages that they are stupidly easy to get out of as well, so its possible to rip your foot out when you didn't want to

And of course being mounted in a flat pedal, you can ride the bike with trainers on, or work shoes between offices if need be.

I bought a pair to get me in to commuting, but by winter I will have relegated them to the turbo and stuck on something with more grip and less float
  • cookeeemonster
    fat daddy wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

They are just easier to get in and out of .. more float, less tension .... you think the ms520s are easy ... and they are, but the t400 are stupidly easy ... that stupid ease though comes with its disadvantages that they are stupidly easy to get out of as well, so its possible to rip your foot out when you didn't want to

And of course being mounted in a flat pedal, you can ride the bike with trainers on, or work shoes between offices if need be.

I bought a pair to get me in to commuting, but by winter I will have relegated them to the turbo and stuck on something with more grip and less float

The offer 3 main advantages:

1. Easy to clip in/out of - may be a disadvantage if you're putting power down (or up) and you like them done up tight
    2. Can pedal with them in normal trainers - not ideal, but I do for short journeys when I cant be bothered putting my cycle shoes on (lunchtime journeys etc)
    3. THEY ARE ONE OF THE FEW SPD PEDAL SYSTEMS TO BE ROAD LEGAL - they have built in reflectors, most don't, and so are illegal to ride in at night. Very low risk of getting pulled up for this, but in theory if you're involved in a accident and don't have pedal reflectors then the 3rd party solicitor could bring this up...not sure if this has ever happened.

I use m540's, m520's and these depending...they all work fine :)
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    If you're that bothered - get a set of SM-PD22 reflectors for your PD-M520/M540 - sure they make your pedals one-sided, but you're "legal".

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/smpd22-auto- ... 26992.html
  • cookeeemonster
    If you're that bothered - get a set of SM-PD22 reflectors for your PD-M520/M540 - sure they make your pedals one-sided, but you're "legal".

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/smpd22-auto- ... 26992.html

I tried them for a while...they have the same problem as road spd sl's - you're constantly faffing trying to clip in especially if trying to get away from the lights fast - you're guaranteed to flick the pedal upside down to the flat side then spend the next few seconds looking down trying to clip in properly...by which time that 34kg dutch bike has flown past you :)