Freehub body removal help

drimena
drimena Posts: 4
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys, I've been searching through internet trying to solve my problem but with no luck.I hope someone could help me.I noticed light freewheel dragging the other day so I decided to clean and relube my rear hub.I removed the cassette with no problem but I don't know how to remove axle and freehub body.there is a lot of info on the net about removing different types of hubs but I haven't found the way to remove mine.I'm posting 2 photos of the disassembled hub from either side...
dsc6615x.jpg
dsc6613d.jpg

I'm stuck at this situation.in the second picture you can see that I tried to pull the axle out but this is as far as it would go.can someone tell me what should I do to completely remove axle and the freehub body.
Thanks, appreciate your help...

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    It depends entirely on the hub.
    It looks like you can just knock it through, it might take some force to do it.
    However, I'm not saying you should, because I have no idea what hub it is.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It will knock through one way or the other, in doing so you may well be (almost certainly will be knocking a bearing out so it will need more than a gentle tap.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    axle leaves the hub from the disc side. then the body should unscrew with a 11mm (7/16") allen key.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • drimena
    Thanks for reply! I forgot to mention that it's a Syncros rear hub.so you think I should tap it gently with mallet or something and it will come out? is there any chance of braking something by forcing the axle out? ok,if axle leaves the hub from the disc side than I need to remove the drive side end cap but I'm stuck with it.the end cap has a tiny hex screw on it's side,I unscrewed it but the cap won't come off (end cap on the other side came off easily this way).
    Thanks for help...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    JohnBurt wrote:
    looks like a different hub.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • drimena
    nicklouse wrote:
    JohnBurt wrote:
    looks like a different hub.

looks like a different hub to me also.cap ends on my hub are perfectly round so I cannot use a cone wrench.my wheels are "syncros race" model so I tought that the hubs are also from syncros.maybe that's not the case...