Spanish helmet law latest

megilleland
megilleland Posts: 786
edited May 2013 in Tour & expedition
Cycling hero walks out on Spanish traffic director over compulsory helmets

From the European Cyclists' Federation News dated 30th April 2013:

Pedro Delgado, winner of the 1988 Tour de France and Spanish professional cycling spokesman, suddenly walked out of a recent meeting with the director of the Spanish national traffic authority (DGT), María Seguí, after a heated discussion about government plans to ban cycling without helmets. Pedro Delgado told María Seguí that he was opposed to mandatory helmet legislation because it would discourage people from cycling.

Following the recent proposal to consider making cycling helmets compulsory in Spain there is a petition asking for the dismissal of the Director General of Traffic. Although in Spanish it is quite easy to fill in.

Go to panel on right of website and under
Tu primera vez el sitio (Your first time on this site)
Enter your name in Nombre
Enter your e-mail
Select Country (Pais) using drop down list and select Reino Unido
and enter your post code

Hit Firmar to sign and that's it thanks.
The more you spend - the faster you go - the less you see.

Comments

• VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Who would sign that petition though ?
    Ive thought a lot about this recently and I do understand that some people dont want to wear a helmet so maybe the answer is this.

If you want to cycle on the road you wear a helmet, just like motorbike riders.

Off road you dont need too.

Now of course some would say offroad is more dangerous which in some cases it will be but anyone who asks for people to request a removal of another who just wants more safety is daft as basil.
    Living MY dream.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Statistically you’re far more likely to be involved in a road accident as a pedestrian than you are as a cyclist.

Pedestrians should wear helmets!!!
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    ju5t1n wrote:
    Statistically you’re far more likely to be involved in a road accident as a pedestrian than you are as a cyclist.

You're joking, right?
  • I am a motorbike rider and there is a very big difference between the two.

I wear a helmet on my road bike but like to be able to choose.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I am a motorbike rider and there is a very big difference between the two.

I wear a helmet on my road bike but like to be able to choose.

Isnt that what motorcyclists said when the law was made to wear helmets ?
    Living MY dream.
  • Maybe.

But then it'd be nice not to wear my helmet on a motorbike too. Like last night when I had to move the bike 10m down the road at 10.30pm.

It's nice to be able to make an informed decision, weigh up the risks myself, and not have a nanny state and the threat of fines, cameras, you name it, telling me what to do. Crazy eh.

Let's not talk about seatbelts.

Depressing argument. Sadly the legislators usually win, bit by absolutist bit.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    But then it'd be nice not to wear my helmet on a motorbike too. Like last night when I had to move the bike 10m down the road at 10.30pm.

Sadly the legislators usually win, bit by absolutist bit.

Erm. You could have pushed it surely?

You can't really blame the legislators if you own a bike that's too big to push 10 metres.
  • Cannock Chase
    Cannock Chase Posts: 558
    ju5t1n wrote:

Some years ago one of the large motoring organisations said how many head injuries could be prevented if MOTORISTS wore helmets. Like to see that one go through Parliament..!!
    I'm not getting old... I'm just using lower gears......
    Sirius - Steel Reynolds 631
    Cove Handjob - Steel Columbus Nivacrom
    Trek Madone - Carbon