Slicks on a Rockhopper

Steve7577
Steve7577 Posts: 16
edited May 2013 in MTB general
Thinking of turning my Rockhopper into a hybrid the wife can use. What is the thinnest tubes and slicks I could get away with putting on it?

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Schwalbe City Jets, 1.5" is what I've used for yonks and I see others recommend too. How narrow you can go depends on your rims, you may be able to get 32mm (1 1/4") but I suspect they'd be a pain to get on and off.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No point in going too skinny, no difference in speed and fatter are more comfy.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    £20 for a pair - can't really go wrong.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350776279596? ... 1438.l2649
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    cooldad wrote:
    £20 for a pair - can't really go wrong.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350776279596? ... 1438.l2649
    I'd second this. I used these for years when I commuted by bike. Great tyres, and for that price, you'd be daft not to!
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    I have tried slicks and semi-slick tyres as narrow as a Specialized Fatboy 26x1.0 to tyres as wide as a Schwalbe Big Apple 26x2.35, and every size inbetween.

Fat tyres are comfy but feel wallowy with a vague steering characteristic. Narrow tyres have a direct and fast steering characteristic but can feel harsh even on a good condition London road.

My happy medium is a 26x1.5 or 1.6: Schwalbe Marathon Plus for ultra durability; Continental Sport Contact for speed and grip (turns sticky in summer heat and will shower small particles of road grit at the underside of the downtube).
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    bikaholic wrote:
    good condition London road

:lol:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8