Need advise ASAP!! 900 4 c2w please enlighten me Read On>>

yelreppa
yelreppa Posts: 2
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys and girls
Have £900.00 cycle to work scheme voucher which is due out to me on 17th of this month.So been trying to work out what bike I should go for?? H/t full suss etc etc,going to be using bike about 40% road "for work" rest will be trail centres/trails/forests.
Slighty restricted to brands, as I know from getting my last c2w cube:) Have very slowly narrowed it down,this is were you kind people come in lol
Boardman team £764.00 they have 10% this weekend good spec rockshox recon gold xram
Boardman fs team £899.00 same again top spec,sooo tempted with this only worry is on road don't want to be bobbing up and down I know it doesn't lock,I hear the rear shock can leak?? Any one own one of these's bike please tell me how they are? Also would consider if I buy the fs I would get a normal bike shop to build for us and if after 6 months not getting with would sell frame, and put rest on a new frame ie one on,cove etc
Also interested in
Genesis core and mantle 29er,
Scott scale 960
Whyte 910
Trek mambo

All the above have really poor shocks compared to the b/mans need help so much to choose from!!

Comments

• oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    If you are actually going to be using the bike for commuting the Team HT seems the more logical option (although I would be very tempted with the FS especially at that price!). Very good spec on both the HT and FS for the money and even though I haven't actually looked at the spec of any of the other bikes you have listed, I will assume the Boardmans are far better value for money.

I've been at Halfords as a mechanic for almost 2 years now and have sent out plenty of Team FSs and not one has come back with a leaking shock. Any stories you have heard are most likely due to lack of servicing/neglect on the shock.

You do realise though that your company owns the bike for the duration of the payment period (almost always 12 months) so if you sell the frame part way through, you'd be breaking the C2W contract and could get into some difficulties with your employer. Ride the bike for a year, make the last payment to own it, then do what you want with it and start another scheme, that's what all my colleagues have done. Most of them sell their bikes after the 12 months and make on average about 75% of the original price back.