Is it worth me buying a new bike?

jbord
jbord Posts: 4
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi all. I have a felt nine sport 29 which i was given last year. I am pretty sure its too big a frame for me at 19.5 inches as im 173cm tall. I find the felt is a fairly numb and steady ride. Also get problems changing gear when theres pressure on the pedals - the chain has locked a few times too a bit scary.

I am wondering if it qould be better just to get a proper sized bike thinking of a Giant anthem x129er. Also considering a kinesis ff29 ht. Am a bit torn between ht andfs. I prefer the simplicity of ht but at 43 i wouldnt mind thecomfort of fs.

Would the above bikes represent a significant upgrade or is it going to be mrginal . I havea budget of around 2 to 2.5k.

Would appreciate anythoughts.

Cheers

Comments

• symanoy
    symanoy Posts: 123
    Thats not a bad bike, the chain problems should be able to be fixed, could be worn chain/cassette.
    But if the size really isn't right then its going to ruin your enjoyment of the bike.

Giant Anthem X 29er is a great bike. If you like 29er then stick with them.

The felt is like a £700 bike, so of course a 2k bike will be a significant upgrade that you will feel!

As always go and test ride a few bikes!
    Giant Trance X2 Build Sadly since stolen!
    replaced with Giant Trance MKII
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You could get a quality replacement frame and ad a few upgrades as you go, for a lot less than £2K you'd have a much nicer (to ride) bike than now.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.