When does the "is it worth it" feeling disappear ?

VTech
VTech Posts: 4,736
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
I'm trying to do around 100km a week at the moment which to some is tiny I know but not so long ago I was struggling to do 5km.
Anyway, whilst out today I really felt it. Wind was pushing me all over even though it seemed a mild day. I know the sun had effects on me as well but I really go the feel to give up several times.
I didnt and caried on but when does this leave ?

Also, my heart rate was around 155 average and peaked at around 180. I'm 40 and 2 stone overweight.
Living MY dream.

Comments

• wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    IME it doesn't leave or stop but it only comes up once in a very long while for me after five years of cycling - sometimes when the weather is really bad or when I am sickening for something. A few times its happened and cold symptoms appeared the next day.

Don't worry about it just keep going - human bodies inherently want to save energy (we haven't yet evolved past that stage) and so will send you signals to stop when you are burning energy - tell it thanks very much but no thanks and keep pedaling.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    The wind has a huge effect imo. Its annoying to say the least, of course it will be doing us good and making us stronger but it can be demoralising sometimes. I did an 80 mile sportive about 3 weeks ago with 9,500 of climbing and the wind was 20mph into your face, gusting to more than 40mph, which made things brutally tough and not always enjoyable. Today was still pretty windy, will be nice when it drops.

Consider what clothing and what you are carrying. Some people were on the start line today in full leggings, arm warmers, skull caps and OVERSHOES!!! FFS!! It was 10 degrees at 8am and only going to get hotter.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    There are a few threads around on this subject at the moment, and it seems it happens to everyone now and again no matter how long you have been at it!
    You're in good company :D
  • VTech
    Murph, it's funny you mention skull cap.
    I wear one (I think that's what it's called, it's a right cap covering the head and under the helmet) and this really stops sweat beading into my eyes but today me head was so hot it felt like it was going to explode so I took it off as instantly felt better with the wind on my bonce cooling me down.

I'm also struggling with speed, I'm not sure I believe strava as I am always around 17kph-30kph but anything like a half decent hill and I'm down to 7kph-9kph yes strava insists I'm averaging 20kph which I don't think I am yet.
    Everyone else I look at seems to be hitting around 22-27kph :(
    Living MY dream.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    speed is so last year... slow is in. 20kph is 12.5mph i think and is what i am averaging throughout my riding career according to strava. best not to look at what others are doing i find cos it takes all the enjoyment away
  • CrouchingPig
    CrouchingPig Posts: 112
    Who doesn't have a bad day?

Sometimes I go for a ride when my heart isn't in it, end up turning round and going home early. It happens.

Tomorrow's another day!
    Norco Sight C7.2
    Giant Defy 1 Disc
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Some days you suck. Accept it and keep riding because if you stick at it you get more and more days where you feel like you are flying along. I also find Strava quite motivational for charting my progress. I too am over 40 and when I started riding seriously last year I thought i would always languish at the 330/400 level on Strava leaderboards. Not so now. I have a couple of top 10s and seem to be setting PRs on a regular basis. My HR is probably 10-15 beats lower on average but of course that just allows me to ride faster. Yep the wind is annoying but imagine how good it will feel when you hit a still day. Keep at it.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    It doesn't matter about speed, performance or what anyone else is doing. There's always someone quicker :wink:

The only competition is with yourself and you'll have good and bad days, the main thing is to enjoy your cycling. From that point everything will start falling into place including a better base fitness.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    It doesn't get easier, you just want to go faster.
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    Bozman wrote:
    It doesn't get easier, you just want to go faster.

Not quite. Most of the time you just want to go faster.

But.

When you start sometimes there is no option to ease off. I remember a couple of rides last year when I was in the red and crawling along. My only option would have been to stop.

Today I was really suffering on the club run (I think i did too much Friday evening, and had a torrid time into a headwind yesterday), but, because i'm a lot fitter when the hills got too much when i eased off (and got dropped) I could feel myself recovering. Because there was a cushion I could slip into.

The nice chaps waited up the road and after the last big hill I managed to stick with them home.

http://app.strava.com/activities/52467705

So, Vtech. Don't give up hope. It took me 9 months or so, but I'm at a stage now where there is a back off option.

As to is it worth it? 95% of the time I'm filled with a pure very childish joy when cycling. A sense of "play" i find it hard to find elsewhere as an adult lol. And that makes the hard days all worthwhile.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    VTech wrote:

I'm also struggling with speed, I'm not sure I believe strava as I am always around 17kph-30kph but anything like a half decent hill and I'm down to 7kph-9kph yes strava insists I'm averaging 20kph which I don't think I am yet.

Don't focus on speed unless your planning on becoming a professional athlete or take part in amateur races. If your only doing it to lose weight then focus on enjoying the scenery or going somewhere you like or would just like to see. When i first started i was always trying to beat personal records, which at least gives you something to aim for but kinda takes the fun out of riding IMO (you quickly get bored with it and have to find alternative motivation for jumping on the bike every day).

Just did over 300 miles this week (480km, i think). The first time over 300 this year (dropped down to the 200 mark with the bad weather we've been having since October) . But before you get the impression that i'm some lycra clad, road bike owning speed machine then let me correct you. I'm a plump bellied, 46 year old bald man riding a "sit up and beg" hybrid bike with an average speed of around 12mph (i don't wear lycra and am as aerodynamic as a brick). Gone down from a 43" waist to a 32" waist in the last five years (in fact, did it in the first two years) of riding.

So what's the trick? As mentioned, unless your planning on becoming an athlete, simply ease off the pace and enjoy the ride. There's no point pushing until your in a world of pain. A little damp and clammy is fine. But if your spending too much time focusing on maintaining a specific speed, calculating your wattage output, maintaining a cadence, or trying to beat some 18 year old super fit idiot on Strava then your just going to lose patience with yourself as you fail and start to find it hard to motivate yourself to climb on the bike.

Take it easy, chill out, take a pill, smoke some dope. You'll find the rides more enjoyable if your not being so competitive. You'll then find that you stay on the bike longer and this more than anything else will help you lose the weight than short sharp painful rides. More over, as you start to lose the weight, you'll find that you start to go faster and can endure a little more pain, more by accident than design. I can't think of anything more miserable than jumping on a bike every day to do some "training". Jump on the bike to have fun, ignore everything else.
  • VTech
    Ouija wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Don't focus on speed unless your planning on becoming a professional athlete or take part in amateur races. If your only doing it to lose weight then focus on enjoying the scenery or going somewhere you like or would just like to see. When i first started i was always trying to beat personal records, which at least gives you something to aim for but kinda takes the fun out of riding IMO (you quickly get bored with it and have to find alternative motivation for jumping on the bike every day).

Just did over 300 miles this week (480km, i think). The first time over 300 this year (dropped down to the 200 mark with the bad weather we've been having since October) . But before you get the impression that i'm some lycra clad, road bike owning speed machine then let me correct you. I'm a plump bellied, 46 year old bald man riding a "sit up and beg" hybrid bike with an average speed of around 12mph (i don't wear lycra and am as aerodynamic as a brick). Gone down from a 43" waist to a 32" waist in the last five years (in fact, did it in the first two years) of riding.

So what's the trick? As mentioned, unless your planning on becoming an athlete, simply ease off the pace and enjoy the ride. There's no point pushing until your in a world of pain. A little damp and clammy is fine. But if your spending too much time focusing on maintaining a specific speed, calculating your wattage output, maintaining a cadence, or trying to beat some 18 year old super fit idiot on Strava then your just going to lose patience with yourself as you fail and start to find it hard to motivate yourself to climb on the bike.

Take it easy, chill out, take a pill, smoke some dope. You'll find the rides more enjoyable if your not being so competitive. You'll then find that you stay on the bike longer and this more than anything else will help you lose the weight than short sharp painful rides. More over, as you start to lose the weight, you'll find that you start to go faster and can endure a little more pain, more by accident than design. I can't think of anything more miserable than jumping on a bike every day to do some "training". Jump on the bike to have fun, ignore everything else.

Brilliant reply, thanks.
    In reality I just bought the bike to lose weight, im 40, 36" waste, knocking on the door of 38" and 15st6lb.
    I sit at a computer all day and also travel a lot so fitness hasnt been something ive done in years and years so although weight loss is the main key I wanted to try and get the speed up so I could ride with others who I know cycle. Its no good going on a 50k sunday ride if my max is speed is 18km and they tootle along at 27km. I would like to join a local friend as I reckon it would be more pleasurable than setting off on my own for a few hours.
    Ill take on board what you say about the "taking it easy" part though, I have done a couple of local rides where I wasnt too bothered about pace and noticed so much local scenery and loads of animals that I wouldnt normally notice.

I am enjoying it more than I was, however when a kid on a BMX passes you as you peddle up a hill on your road racer it kinda hurts :cry:
    Living MY dream.
  • supermurph09
    I wonder you are still transitioning a bit from the turbo as well. No wind on there. Like others say, we all have bad days.
  • VTech
    I've woke today aching all over so although the workout was rough, I've previously cycled further but never ached liked this since I first started.
    My upper arms, back and thighs feel achy and tired.

I reckon the wind must have had more of an effect than I thought.
    Also, reviewing the ride on strava showed I had done more climbing hills than even longer runs (I have tried to keep my cycling flat to start with previously)
    Living MY dream.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    The mind gives up long before the body.

Remind yourself that the next time you're in pain or struggling.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Wind is brutal! That's the reason so many racers that come from Belgium are so good! It is great riding into the wind since you will see a nice performance increase. It bloody hurts though!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Turn off strava for a month or two, then check how you have improved.

I assume you don't weigh yourself everyday, you then see the progress when you do weigh yourself after a reasonable period of time.

You won't do either overnight.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • TommyB61
    TommyB61 Posts: 103
    As others have said, just ride as much as you can & enjoy the new sights & sounds that go with a good cycle ride. Increase your ride lengths reasonably gradually, & practice on hills as much as you can - you'll find your body adjusts, the harder hills will become progressively easier, & you'll feel the improvement in your overall performance.

Alongside a tweaked diet, my cycling has helped me to lose 3 stone & 7 inches off my waist size since last August. Looking back, the motto 'ride lots' has served me well.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,628
    "Don't think, feel. It's like a finger pointing away to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss a the heavenly glory."

Bruce Lee, Enter the Dragon
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ooermissus
    ooermissus Posts: 811
    Ouija wrote:
    I'm a plump bellied, 46 year old bald man riding a "sit up and beg" hybrid bike with an average speed of around 12mph (i don't wear lycra and am as aerodynamic as a brick)... Take it easy, chill out, take a pill, smoke some dope. You'll find the rides more enjoyable if your not being so competitive.

Great advice! :D
  • supermurph09
    What is your nutrition like? You want to lose weight, 75% of that will come from the diet not the miles on the bike. If you eat rubbish beforehand you'll feel rubbish on the bike. So many factors that can make you have a bad ride.
  • VTech
    Diet is a key issue. In trying to change but I've been eating cr4p for 40 years and its a hard habit to break.
    Living MY dream.
  • hairy_boy
    hairy_boy Posts: 345
    Wind really sucks when its in your face on a bike - makes a massive difference.

Don't be too hard on yourself - your doing the right thing getting out on the bike.

I would really 2nd what others have said about trying to enjoy it more than aiming for a good time to post on strava. Do you ride with anyone else ? I find riding with others (not all the time) definately helps - putting a route together with a mate/local rider where you can stop for a cup of tea and a slice of flapjack halfway round may brake things up a bit for you.

Keep up the riding - I've lost 1.5 stone (started at 14.75 stone) since end of January. I am doing the '2 day a week diet' which consists of eating relatively normally for 5 days and doing 2 days a week (Monday & thursday for me) where I have just 600 calories per day on those 2 days. Only diet thats ever worked for me and I feel great on it - can still enjoy my weekends without going over the top and managing to lose 1-2 pounds consistently each week. I do one 20-30 mile ride on a weekend and one ride mid-week of 20 miles.

Finding tasty healthier food which you enjoy is key to knocking out the crap - I never counted calories before but I now have a grasp of calories and it has dramatically changed what I put in my mouth now. Still enjoy a few beers and the odd curry at the weekend !

Morrisons do a spicy chicken cous-cous salad box which works well for an office lunch - really tasty and 225 calories I think.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I'm finding headwind easier by dropping down to the small ring and increasing cadence and getting on the drops as much as possible to reduce wind resistance ... Apologies if teaching granny to suck eggs
  • VTech
    I'm goin to read up on that 2 day diet thing later when I'm back.
    As for the small ring, I'm there whenever the hill is more than a fair incline although I'm still trying to get for so I'm sure that will come.
    Cheers for the advice, ill get there I'm sure.
    Living MY dream.
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    Just keep at it VTech!

I wouldn't worry about a club ride, although its a shame there isn't a beginners section. I ride solo or sometimes with a mate, simply because childcare and family life doesn't agree with club life (at the moment). It means I can poodle along and enjoy the views across the Downs, stop whenever I want or take a detour if I'm tired.

As you get more rides under your belt then the fitness builds up. I like spin sessions, but I'm aware that I can always turn the resistance down if I need to( or not turn it up quite so far in the first place) whereas with a real hill I don't have any choice except to get up it. I am disappointed with my average speed when I compare it to others but nearly every ride I do takes me up The Downs ( like Hollingbourne Hill) or those long inclines that never seem to finish so I can freewheel!

But by keeping at it, and having good days and bad days, I have managed to improve MY times. Compared to some club riders on Strava they would still beat me by several minutes up a hill. But compared to 'old me' I'm much faster, and that is the most important thing.

Keep riding. Keep watching what goes in your gob. And compare yourself to your old self.

And enjoy it! It's as simple as riding a bike!
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    Mikey23 wrote:
    I'm finding headwind easier by dropping down to the small ring and increasing cadence and getting on the drops as much as possible to reduce wind resistance ... Apologies if teaching granny to suck eggs
    I normally ride on the hoods but, despite the improving weather, I have had a few rides into dispiritingly strong headwinds recently and I can immediately feel the difference getting down into the drops.

When I can be bothered, I shall take out the last spacer and slam my stem a little bit more to get maximum aero effect :wink: .
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    I did a couple of rides last year when I wanted to throw the bike in a ditch at the end and take up pottery or something similar. :) The next day, sun shining, I looked out of the window and thought, "Good day for a ride..."
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • VTech
    I'm gonna try and get out tommorow then it's spin class Wednesday so I'm not giving up just yet :)
    Living MY dream.