Sore - which chamois cream?

feemackenzie
feemackenzie Posts: 130
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Embarrassed positing this....

As the miles build up, I'm becoming a little sore on inner thighs and bottom. Any recommendations on chamois cream?
Felt z95 - loving my first road bike

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Assos?
    Rapha?
    You can even use sudocrem, but it is difficult to wash it off
    left the forum March 2023
  • charlie_potatoes
    charlie_potatoes Posts: 1,921
    edited May 2013
    I use Udderly Smooth for the ride.
    And Sudocrem when I get out of the bath.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    Assoss
  • daviegb
    daviegb Posts: 126
    Assos for me - ensures no chaffing even on 100 mile rides!
  • pak-man
    pak-man Posts: 76
    daviegb wrote:
    Assos for me - ensures no chaffing even on 100 mile rides!

+1
  • feemackenzie
    feemackenzie Posts: 130
    Thx as ever. A quick spot of shopping tomorrow .... I bet I come out with something else!!!!
    Felt z95 - loving my first road bike
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    I've found the Udderly stuff does the trick. 7 quid a tub, used it loads and still have 3/4's of a tub left. i never thought it would make a difference but it so does...
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    I use Chapeau Menthol because it makes my bollox tingle
  • twoshots
    twoshots Posts: 58
    Surprisingly I find Care Aqueous Calamine Cream as good as most chamois creams. Cheap too.
  • ricey155
    ricey155 Posts: 233
    another thumbs up for the Aqueous Cream very cheap and cheap enough to to worry about slapping loads on

homebargains sell it for 99p a tub Lloyds around £2.19 - I found that stuff on the back of a pro tip :mrgreen:
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    MacLeod113 wrote:
    I've found the Udderly stuff does the trick. 7 quid a tub, used it loads and still have 3/4's of a tub left. i never thought it would make a difference but it so does...

+1 for this
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Sudocrem here
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    ednino wrote:
    I use Chapeau Menthol because it makes my bollox tingle

This is better for that, I've heard :shock:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Has it got to the stage of being chafed and thus sore..? too late for chamois cream then... use that for when things have healed.
    I know it sounds daft but I used http://www.simple.co.uk/products/Simple ... l-269.aspx Simple spot gel when I got an attack this winter after riding 60 miles in cold and wet..
    I neglected to use enough.. hence the problem.

Assos always works.. however a cheap alternative is this http://www.aqua-max.co.uk/products/aquamax-cream/ it is cheap and thickish enough for me.
    Udderley is just not thick enough... wimpish stuff
    Ozone endurance heavy duty!! http://www.bobshop.de/en/Accessories/Bo ... 150ml.html is really thick and Sudocreme like... BUT washes out easily and does not seem to stain the inside of your expensive bibs and pads.
  • Neil_aky
    Neil_aky Posts: 211
    Also watch out for fungal infections (Jock Itch) at the top of your thighs - doesn't always itch by the way.

If the skin discolours at all (red patch) try Lamisil spray / canesten cream after a ride, not Sudocrem as it can make it worse (although short-term it may look like it is working by reducing any redness).

Just a one to watch out for - many cyclists suffer with this and a misdiagnosis will result in it getting worse.