Hiplock

minieggs
minieggs Posts: 4
edited May 2013 in MTB general
BR seem to give hiplock a good review and people on wiggle seem to like it. Anyone use one ?
Thanks

Comments

• Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    I have a 1.5, and love it.
    Better than carrying a heavy d-lock in a backpack or on the frame.
    Hefty, but after the first 10 minutes of using it you forget you are wearing it. (To the point that I was still wearing around the house for 30 minutes after my ride before I realised).
    Silver-rated so good enough for a quick run to the shops, but I wouldn't use it as an all-dayer.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • milko9000
    milko9000 Posts: 533
    I heard that the downside to these is that if you should need emergency services attention for some reason then it's bad as they need to be cut through. But on the other hand I can't see many injuries happening that need their attention around that bit and you'd have the keys, so maybe forget that!
  • Motley13
    Motley13 Posts: 89
    I bought one as my first real lock for my bikes and i love it. Never seem to feel it when i have it on anymore and does the job nicely. I use mine everyday for locking my bike up at work and have had no problems. Id recommend it to anyone
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    milko9000 wrote:
    I heard that the downside to these is that if you should need emergency services attention for some reason then it's bad as they need to be cut through. But on the other hand I can't see many injuries happening that need their attention around that bit and you'd have the keys, so maybe forget that!

It isn't chained around your waist, it's velcro-ed. It's easy to carry, and looks strong enough that it will send the thieves to an unlocked bike - fine for a trip to the shops, probably not up to overnight stays in high crime areas. I'm happy with mine because that's what it's for!
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • milko9000
    milko9000 Posts: 533
    ahh, genius. Thanks!