Shimano Sora groupset reliability and maintenance

andreavda
andreavda Posts: 27
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
I'd like to purchase a new road bike, I was thinking of a trek 1.2 because it's so cheap.
http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/ro ... ries/1_2/#

On this bike there is a Shimano Sora groupset.

What does it imply having a Shimano Sora on the bike instead of a Shimano Tiagra or a Shimano 105 ?

Apart from the obvious differences in prices and weight, what are the other differences ?

I'm talking about the reliability and the maintenance.

Compared to the other more expensive groupsets, do I have to spend more time to fix it ?

Usually I travel 3300 miles (5400 km) on my bike each year

Comments

• dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    There more expensive groupsets are higher quality but providing you keep it clean and lubed sora will give you smooth shifting and will last a long time at your current mileage
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    £700 isn't that cheap! Sora's not bottom of the range either, quite what you do get for your money is always a moot point. I'd expect 9 speed to be more reliable than 10 speed (thicker chainrings = less wear).
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,178
    the main difference between basic and other groupsets is weight and materials, as long as you keep it maintained it'll last a long time

on holiday i've rented ten-year old bikes with sora, they'd clearly done a lot of mileage, but a few tweaks of the adjusters and the shifting was still spot on

if you've got 6-700 quid, i'd consider looking secondhand too, as long as you know what size you can get much better value
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I reckon in will last as long & more expensive stuff and it is very relaible. Bit heavy and feels a bit clunky mind.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    andreavda wrote:
    I'd like to purchase a new road bike, I was thinking of a trek 1.2 because it's so cheap.
    http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/ro ... ries/1_2/#

On this bike there is a Shimano Sora groupset.

What does it imply having a Shimano Sora on the bike instead of a Shimano Tiagra or a Shimano 105 ?

Apart from the obvious differences in prices and weight, what are the other differences ?

I'm talking about the reliability and the maintenance.

Compared to the other more expensive groupsets, do I have to spend more time to fix it ?

Usually I travel 3300 miles (5400 km) on my bike each year

I have Sora on my Wilier and am very happy with it.
    Obvious differences to Tiagra/105 is it's 9 speed not 10.
    Rear shifting is spot on, I also have FSA Crank and SRAM PG950 combo.
    Front shift can be a little clunky when going Big -> Small.
    Keep it clean and lubed and it is fine, I have ran mine for over 2000 miles since September 2012 with no problems.
  • andreavda
    passout wrote:
    I reckon in will last as long & more expensive stuff and it is very relaible. Bit heavy and feels a bit clunky mind.

I heard that too, but are you referring to sora 2012 ?
    Because in the later part of 2012 sora 2013 came out, someone said it was built with the same specs of the tiagra 2011-2012
    Since they say the tiagra is faster at changing gears and less clunky I expect the sora 2013 to be like the tiagra.
    What do you think ?
  • Graeme Jones
    Graeme Jones Posts: 361
    Based on what I've seen at my LBS sora is now Tiagra of old. It looks far superior in quality and much better without the thumb switch.
    I have the 2012 and wouldn't recommend it and wouldn't go for the same on another bike
  • andreavda
    Based on what I've seen at my LBS sora is now Tiagra of old. It looks far superior in quality and much better without the thumb switch.
    I have the 2012 and wouldn't recommend it and wouldn't go for the same on another bike

what are according to you the downsides of the sora 2012 ?
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    andreavda wrote:
    passout wrote:

I heard that too, but are you referring to sora 2012 ?
    Because in the later part of 2012 sora 2013 came out, someone said it was built with the same specs of the tiagra 2011-2012
    Since they say the tiagra is faster at changing gears and less clunky I expect the sora 2013 to be like the tiagra.
    What do you think ?

I was.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    andreavda wrote:

I have Tiagra on one and 2300 on another bike.
    I believe Sora replaced 2300.

The tiagra shifting is smoother and has the obvious advantage of an extra cog (my tiagra is 9speed, 2300 is 8) but the main bugbear for me is the thumb switches on the 2300 - they can make holding the hoods uncomfortable as they're in just the right position to get in the way of my thumbs causing a pressure point.
    Other than that, the 2300 has done 4000+ miles and still going fine - but I will replace them because I want to get rid of the thumb switch and have hidden cables - so it'll be 105 then!
  • andreavda
    Slowbike wrote:
    andreavda wrote:

The tiagra shifting is smoother and has the obvious advantage of an extra cog (my tiagra is 9speed, 2300 is 8) but the main bugbear for me is the thumb switches on the 2300 - they can make holding the hoods uncomfortable as they're in just the right position to get in the way of my thumbs causing a pressure point.
    Other than that, the 2300 has done 4000+ miles and still going fine - but I will replace them because I want to get rid of the thumb switch and have hidden cables - so it'll be 105 then!

tourney replaced 2300
    sora replaced sora
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    andreavda wrote:

tourney replaced 2300
    sora replaced sora

Ah well - at least they got rid of the thumb switch on the new Sora ... ;)
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I quite like the thumb shifters :-)
  • I know its a bit late but saw this post and had to post my experience with Sora. My Shimano Sora is on my training bike bought in 2001, probably done 5000 miles a year for the past 12 years and still works fine. Its been left outside in the rain, been caked in mud, salt etc and just needs cleaning off and lubing up.

The new sora I believe has the same lever now as the higher models in the shimano range. But mine still has that little thumb shifter you talk of. I actually prefer that in the winter when wearing gloves as it separates the two shifting points and makes it easier. But just my two cents
  • bus_ter
    bus_ter Posts: 337
    My old bike was Sora (previous version with thumb shifter) and my newer bike is Ultegra 6700. The front shifting is night and day. My Ultegra changes up and down on the chainring as easily as changing up and down a gear on the back. The Sora requires a good firm push of the lever to change into the big ring, and when you change down it seems to clunk and fall into the small ring. It still functions just fine though.
  • Hals1967
    Hals1967 Posts: 231
    I've racked up over 10k miles on a Sora equipped bike commuting all year round, year on year, all conditions. No problems whatsoever. As long as you keep it clean and lubed should last a long time. The only changes I've made are new cables when required. :wink:

1967 Engine
  • Hals1967 wrote:
    The only changes I've made are new cables when required. :wink:

Often overlooked when the gears start playing up is the cables. Quite alot of people I know have bought new gears when a simple cable change have fixed it
  • Scargill
    Scargill Posts: 1
    Help

can anyone advise what is the largest tooth cassette that a Sora rear hanger will take on a road bike, being newly back to cycling I am struggling with a 26th and the hills in Sheffield.

Thanks
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    andreavda wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    andreavda wrote:

tourney replaced 2300
    sora replaced sora

Claris (2400) replaced 2300

-

New Sora is OK IMO. Have it on a winter Alu Ribble as a triple. It feels chunky and mechanical compared to the smoother feel of 105+. But everything works well and brakes aren't too bad either.

When installing the Holotech BB and a lot of other stuff, It didn't look that much different to 105 our Old Ultegra 6700. They basically make the same part a tad lighter and slap a name and price on it.
  • Fitted Claris to my lads bike (replaced some battered looking 2300 on a 2nd hand purchase), even that works well and it is of good build quality, OK its heavy, chunky (the left hand shifter can be hard on little hands) etc, but it works.

I had 2300 on my first road bike, gears worked fine... I did have an issue with the breaks, the combination of plastic leavers and weak calipers gave an interesting experience in the rain going down a steep hill.

Sora should be good, it will be mostly up to the standard of previous generation(s) Tiagra, which is also good.

You shouldn't spend any time/money fixing parts, and if you are willing to replace like for like, most of the parts are dirt cheap (excl shifters/levers).
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    and the claris can handle a bigger rear sprocket at the back, may change my 2300 RD also.