On my own...

Mikey23
Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
edited May 2013 in Tour & expedition
I'm pretty resourceful and independent but have been planning a trip up the loire valley on ev6 from Nantes to Orleans and on to Paris and home using bike and train. My three 'mates ' have backed out at pretty much the last minute but I'm flipping well going anyway. Anyone else do solo travelling and what are their experiences?

Comments

• Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Mikey23 wrote:
    I'm pretty resourceful and independent but have been planning a trip up the loire valley on ev6 from Nantes to Orleans and on to Paris and home using bike and train. My three 'mates ' have backed out at pretty much the last minute but I'm flipping well going anyway. Anyone else do solo travelling and what are their experiences?
    I've never done anything BUT tour on my own. i love it. Wouldn't have it any other way. Your time is entirely your own. You can do what you want, when you want and with no reference to another living soul. I have done solo tours ranging in length and time from a nine-month, 10,000-mile ride through Austalia to five days in Wales. Another great advantage to travelling on your own is the fact that you can more readily meet people and have a richer experience of the open road than if you are bound up with another person.
  • Mikey23
    Excellent. I think I will be fine once I am there but it's just the thought of it... I love France and am pretty confident of blogging my way around, and can speak the language well enough to get by. I think the loire is pretty well set up tourist wise anyway, ev6 seems pretty cool and I'm sure it's pretty Anglo
  • megilleland
    megilleland Posts: 786
    The more you spend - the faster you go - the less you see.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I’m also off on a solo trip/holiday in the next few weeks. Looking forward to it immensely and never had any intention of doing it anything other than alone. I’ve tried a cycling club and it wasn’t for me, I much prefer to do my own thing. I have a family holiday later in the year with my wife and kids, I’m looking forward to it and always enjoy it but I have their blessing to go and do this on my own. Much as I love spending time with my family and without wanting to be selfish about it, that in itself is quite an attractive prospect as I will not have any deadlines to meet to attend to family comitments for the duration of the trip. Although I have a few options and planned routes if I happen to see a road I like the look of I will head in that direction and see where it takes me. If I want to stop for a beer or a coffee or take some photos or just take a break, I can do it without having to consult anyone else.
    Having just re-read my opening paragraph, I now realise it may be a mid-life crisis rather than a cycling trip :oops: . Thankfully it is only for a few days so probably not long enough to grow a pony-tail or getting anything pierced or tatooed.
    Hope you enjoy your trip as much as I intend to enjoy mine :D
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,865
    Do it. I did a week-long ride down to the SE French Alps last summer. I did it all B&Bs/hotels, nothing pre-booked, travelled very light. Lots of coffees, menus de jour etc. You can stop and chat when you want to, and otherwise just enjoy riding your bike at your own pace. Bliss.
  • Mikey23
    Nowt wrong with a mid life crisis... I've been in one since my teens. All arrangements have been remade now and I've set it up exactly the way I want it rather than having to compromise for others. I think the only thing I really miss is that one of the others is my best bud and a tall, attractive and intelligent young lady half my age and married to someone else! As for the rest, they can go feck!
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    You'll regret it if you don't go, so I wouldn't think twice.
  • Mikey23
    No regrets coyote!
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    It may not be on your route, but if you do head West, any cyclist is welcome here!

(Quimper)
  • Mikey23
    I have it in mind that I would like to come to visit you at some stage but the valley of the kings was the original plan so that's what I'm determined to do this time! Thanks for the offer, looking forward to seeing that nice tractor...
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    Two of us set off last September to ride south from Paris. After 2 days I was alone. Wrote a bit of a blog about riding solo in France.
    https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=63550.0
  • Mikey23
    Yes excellent write up thanks... Did you ever find out what happened to rob?
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    Rob was fine.
    He made his way to Italy and then back to UK before returning to Canada. He sent me some pics and explained how he completely missed the correct route.
  • Mikey23
    Good news!
  • Mikey23
    Back now and so pleased I did it. Had a fab time and met so many other bike nutters, sharing bits of the journey when needed. I wasn't lonely for a minute except when I wanted to be. All the plans and preps I had made worked well and the weather was reasonable. Only one puncture which was an overnight one so fixed it in comfort. Can't wait to do it again!