7.5wt instead of 5wt..?

felix.london
felix.london Posts: 4,067
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
What would be the effect of putting the above in my Boxxers (or Rebas for that matter)?

Basically - TFTuned's 'Refresh kit' comes with 5wt but I already have 7.5wt
"Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    More viscose oil will increase the damping, where it's adjustable you'd just turn the knob and get back to the same damping, where it's not you can't (it doesn't affect floodgate opening significantly though), the daughters Recon's have no adjustable compression, she wanted a bit more so I used a 'thicker' oil.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • felix.london
    So I'd just dial in less compression on the Boxxer and put less air in the Reba (to achieve the same sag)

Trek Session 8
  • The Rookie
    Oil weight won't affect sag, that is set by the spring (air or coil) and not by the damping.... Or have you one of those funny dampers controlled by air pressure, I thought most just set the floodgate.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • felix.london
    All pretty new to me. Think I'll just get a litre of 5wt. I've got a set of Reba and a set of Boxxers that needs servicing and I've got a set of Domains that will need a service at some point too

Just thought, as the sag is set using the compression adjuster (on the Boxxers) if I'm then needing to wind out compression to compensate for the 'heavier' oil this would in turn affect my sag setting

Trek Session 8
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    All oils from different manufacturers are different weights, so you might as well try the 7.5 and see how it does for you.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • felix.london
    I see..so it's not an exact science. Well looks like I've got enough to do the Boxxers so might as well use it. And I presume mixing different weight oils from different manufacturers isn't a problem? i.e. if I'm say, 50ml short on the 7.5, I could just top up the difference with 5wt

Trek Session 8
  • The Rookie
    No issue with that no.....